Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 19Jimmy87, May 31, 2002.

1. 19Jimmy87

19Jimmy87 Registered Member

I just spent all day at the local GM dealer getting the pump in. I took it there because I couldn't get the sender hose off. They said they could and 9 hours later told me they couldn't find the part to use. The GM dealer could NOT find a GM part.
    They left the belts off the A/C and Ps pump. It is hard to turn, but driveable? I think.

My question--Will it be okay to steer with out the power steering hooked up? Will it ruin the box? Also, they said the sender hose is like 5 feet long and all the ones they found were too short. Does anyone know what they need? The hose wraps around the front of the truck and then into the box(?), I have a Jimmy 305 1987 Please help.

Very frustratedly Thanks

2. 19Jimmy87

Somebody please help. This forum is a vast pool of K5 knowledge. Somebody has to know the answers.

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

go to the local auto parts store and pick up some caps that fit in where the hoses go. but bfore u cap em, fill it full of fluid then cap it off. we did this to my bros K5 and it still works. good luck. just go and buy a new pump as cheap as they r.

NITRO

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

do you need a return hose or a sending hose from the pump to the box???

5. 19Jimmy87

I was asking some of the smaller parts store clerks and they all said that I need to take it to another dealer or Pep Boys.. They said it was a return hose not a sender. My write up from the GM dealer says sender. I just went and tried to relocate this supposed 5 ft hose from the pump, couldn't fing it. All I see is two short hoses coming from behind the pump.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah you can drive like that. You'll end up with arms like popeye though : )

Not to be anal or anything, but if you have to make a quick maneuver at low speed (avoid a kid in a neighborhood) you may not be able to respond fast enough. I know mine with 33's, once I shut the motor off (going 25MPH) I can steer, but it's not like I can slalom.

I don't quite understand the 5ft long hose though, most I've seen (except with a cooler or hydroboost) are only 3ft at most, and run straight from the pump to the box.

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i see what ur sayin, but it isnt driven on the street. it has a 68 camaro engine. it doesnt have a place to mount the pump. so that was the alternative. just a quick fix until we fab up the brackets

NITRO

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'll put more strain on everything after the steering box (pot joint, rag joint, etc) but I wouldn't worry about it to much if its temporary.