Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Struggle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ben794X4, Jun 22, 2002.

1. ben794X4

ben794X4 Registered Member

I have an engine dilemma. I am going to be swapping engines soon I currently have a stock 350 in my 79 I have the 465 transmission and the 205 transfer case. I have a friend who has a lt1 350 freshly rebuilt with the efi and hardware for a grand with a full roller valve train. The bad thing is getting it to work with all the sensors. The other thing I am looking at is swapping in a 400 small block which Ive heard different things about. I dont want to spend more than about 2k on the swap because I want to have some money for lockers gears and a lift kit. I like the lt1 but switching it to carb would probably lose power right now its rated by a reliable source (man with dyno) @ 435hp with the injection. I just thought I would get some opinions. By the way I am currently running 33s and plan to go to either 35s or 37s but thats it and the old beast is my daily driver so I got to keep it reliable. thanks- Ben /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

As long as you keep the computer and all of the wiring in order you should be ok. Just dont forget you will have to upgrade to an electric fuel pump and weld in an o2 sensor. If not you could always get the motor and then buy the computer and wiring harness from painless wiring. EFI rocks, it is the off roaders dream, never worry about altitude changes or the float bowls getting flooded when at extreme angles, plus I would think you were extra cool /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

While it sounds like a sweet deal, I'd say to pass on the LT1 unless you're building a mud bog racer. A 350 that's making 435 HP will have it's power band shifted way into the upper RPM range. Engines built like that typically don't start making a lot of power until 3,500 RPM or so, then suddenly it's like Hans Solo just hit the lever to engage light speed. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif It's the hot ticket for a drag car or bog racer running a 3,500 stall converter, but it can get old in a daily driver. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif That HP peak is probably at over 6,000 RPM. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are going with a motor like an LT1, don't go half a$$ed. Either go all the way with the setup as is, (every single wire thats there) or get another motor.

There is a reason those things make the power they do, and do not have a torque curve. (look at a dyno graph..torque is COMPLETELY flat at "peak" for about 3000RPM's) The reason is because the entire motor (sensors, computer, exhaust, ignition, etc) is setup to wring the last bit of power out of it. The newer motors are fairly redesigned, (read, made for power) but if you are going to go carbed, just get a big block and be done with it.