Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power tailgate grief

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NorthernRedNeck, Mar 28, 2002.

1. NorthernRedNeck

NorthernRedNeck Registered Member

The window will go down...but not back up which isn't very handy here this time of year lol. My dash switch never made it go up, but the key always had...until now that is. Any ideas on how Ii can get it back up? I figure that the motor and reg must be ok beacuse it just works by switching the polarity on the motor doesn't it? Help would b appreciated...it supposed to rain.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say the motor/reg are ok.

Have you checked the plug at the tailgate/body to see if the switch in the cab is doing anything when you use it?

You've got a "safety" switch on the drivers side latch of the tailgate as well, that either doesn't let the motor work at all, or only lets the glass go down, (can't remember which) when the tailgate is open. have to get to that from inside the tailgate, but you can jump the terminals on the plug to simulate the switch seeing the tailgate as closed.

The key switch is EASILY cleaned (and simple) once removed if its corroded, which does happen. Rocker switch is pretty basic as well, but you'll know if it's working by checking at the body/tailgate plug.

3. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

the safety switch will allow the window to go down but not up,when mine get's stuck down i have to keep playing with the rocker switch or go around back and wiggle the window a bit,also the frame on the bottum of the window get's stuck on the bottum of the motor, electric rear window's are a real pain in the arse.thinking about gutting mine and going manual.

4. dyeager535

I think they are handy enough to have to keep them, but you are right, they can be a serious pain. I've already had mine apart once to get the key switch to work, and once I put it all back together, the second time I tried to use it, it stopped working. Just gotta get back in there and do a better job I figure.

5. NorthernRedNeck

Thanx for the tips...my rocker switch has never worked to send it back up, and the key switch (that used to work) was always considerably slower going up, hopefully I will have time tonight to take off the outter handle and see if I can't find some corrosion. Is taking off the outter hand a major p.i.t.a?

6. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Yep..if i remember right pretty much gotta unbolt the whole regulator and unbolt the motor to get it out of the way so you can get your hands up there.

7. dyeager535

If it was always slow, thats going to be the mechanism itself, or the motor. Grease the cable, grease the tracks, grease the regulator assembly, all of it.

Yes, the "handle" is kind of a PITA. You have to remove it from the inside, after unbolting the regulator. 4 bolts hold the regulator in place, and the regulator can not be all the way up OR all the way down to get to all of them. After unbolting it, the two nuts that hold the tailgate key switch bezel in place can be removed, and it drops out a bit, so you can undo the wiring from it.

Thats why I say make sure the wires are working in the first place, you don't want to be taking the whole tailgate apart if the problem isn't in the tailgate.

Sounds more like the "safety switch" has failed (along with whatever was originally the problem with the interior rocker switch) since apparently the window will still go down with the tailgate down. It's a fairly common failure though. If it doesn't go up at all now, then perhaps the safety switch failed, and the cab rocker switch is the other problem. You can "jumper" the safety switch easily. (think you roll the window up, and you can pull the connector off the switch, then just run a piece of wire between the two conenctor terminals)

8. NorthernRedNeck

k...thanx again it seems I am goin g to have to try jumping the terminals since my reg is bottomed out

9. dyeager535

Once you get the tailgate cover off you can roll the window up using a drill on the cable. (disconnect it from the motor) or, with no drill, vise grips and some time.

10. NorthernRedNeck

Great tip!!! You rock man!!!!!

11. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The orange wire is the constant hot that runs the switch in the rear. The blue wire is for up and the brown wire is for down. While you are at it, you might as well replace your glass channels and gaskets to make things run smoother and faster.

12. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

see all the pic's I took on my web-page below. they might help alitle

13. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Does replacing the window channels make a difference? Like all of you I have the same problems. An electrical engineer friend of mine says he can build/modify the motor to double it's output. I'll keep you all posted!

14. dyeager535

You *may* end up ripping the tailgate worse than they already do. Some people have 'gate glass that runs up and down smoothly and quickly, it's all in "tuning" it and keeping it in good working order. It worked fine from the factory, beefing the motor up will just let you find the weak link in the system.