Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Tailgate Window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77blazin, Sep 29, 2002.

1. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Hi Everyone
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me if its a good idea to convert from manual tailgate window to power, I'm hearing rumors, that its a bad idea to get one cause if you constantly use it say like 2-3 times a day, you'll break the motor or something else in a couple of months.
    Most people with blazers here have that power window option but I hardly ever see it down on any of the blazers.
    I think the power window thing is cool, but I would like to hear it from you guys and gals out there.
    Sincerely
    Michael Wiley /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I've done the conversion from manual to power. I am very satisfied with the results as well. I converted mine for just the reason you say most people dont is because they break. I use mine often probably atleast once a day on avg but usually lots on the weekends up-and-down-up-and-down-up-and-down thats the action mine sees. No problems no broken motor or nothing. This motor is even off a junkyard vehicle....The best part about the conversion is its a straight swap. Find an electric donor gate and swap to your gate....all the gates come from the factory with predrilled holes for either option.

3. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I have the power window in back, and what you hear can be correct....you have to occasionally monkey with it....I replaced my switch, all the wiring and disconected the safety switch and it normally works fine...but still gets quirky...dont get me wrong, I would not change it in for manual to save my life, I use mine over 10 times a day on most days, and never a huge problem....It just gets quirky, but so does the whole Blazer...good luck
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I want to switch to manual from power, all my stuff is in good order. The motor and gears work fine, but I believe the aftermarket tailgate is the problem. It will get stuck sometimes if the truck is not running. I just dont want to have it stop some day on a hunting trip or something and not be able to get my gear out or in. If you have all the nesasecary stuff and it is in good shape I would possibly be interested in trading??

5. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Chev-blazin
    Okay, what do you want to trade, tailgate for tailgate, or just guts for guts?
    Let me know.
    Michael /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. ChevBlazin

just guts for guts. I just got my truck painted last year so not really an option for whole tailgate. Where are you located?

7. ChevBlazin

Yikes, I just noticed you are in Hawaii! I am in MN If you were close I think it would be feasable, but shipping would probably sour the deal alot. Sorry to get hopes up but, I may need to check things out closer to home.

8. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

I'll pm you.
    Michael /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif