Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power tailgate wiring?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scrapper, Apr 8, 2001.

1. scrapper

scrapper Registered Member

I picked up a power rear window regulator,motor and lock/switch from the salvage yard.I removed the harness that was is the tailgate with the other parts.I also grabbed the front switch.I tested the motor by changine the power supply and it works.Now how to wire it in to my 85?THe motor was removed from a 84 Burban.I know that the motor changes dirrection by reversing power to the motor.The up side runs through a switch on the latch that prevents it from opperating when the gate is open,this switch wass faulty in the salvage vehical,so I will need to buy a new one or just eliminate it.The switch in the tailgate lock has 3 wires,my guess is that the 3rd on is a power supply from the battery to opperate with the key.The big questiuon is in the dash switch.The switch that I got was from a earlier Burban,as the other had heated rear glass,and the switch also incuded the rear defroster part.The wire to the dash switch is light gauge,with 3 woires.My guess is that this switch is ment to switch a ground supply to a relay,which would opperate the rear glass.My Blazer has 2 heavy gauge wires that are not connected to any thing that run the lenth of the truck,these are not the same color code as the donor truck but can be used.I would need to run a third wire for the constant power to the switch.Is there a spot in the fuse/relay board to accomidate the power rear window?

2. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Awwwwwwwwwwww damn. Shoulda caught me Sat. I just threw away an ENTIRE k5 tailgate harness from the fuse box back. It was a little burned, but it'll show you what you need.
    There are no relays in the tailgate wiring, at least not in my 84. It's all straight. The motor grounds through the chassis. Correct-the center pin on the elec switch is constant, each side represents up and down. For the lockout switch, it's only on the up side. If you can't mount the switch(I couldn't) just stick a piece of wire in the plug to bridge the leads so the motor will work. Bad news is the Sub setup won't fit the k5 tailgate(and I have the sub setup to prove it). If the motor is mounted on the regulator, it won't fit. Anymore questions? Send me a private. I'll help you all I can.