Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power tailgate

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77K-5, Jul 20, 2000.

1. 77K-5

77K-5 Registered Member

How hard is it to replace the glass in a electric tailgate? I am about to buy a power tailgate that has no glass, but my manual tailgate does have glass so I figured I would just swap the two... Please let me know asap...

Thanks guys,
    BS

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I've never done it, but I wouldn't be afraid to try. The glass should be the same. Keep takin' stuff off 'til it comes out!
    Good luck!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

lay the gate flat, remove access cover, put window up approx 1/2 way,you will have to jump power to motor, an extra person to support window would be good, remove the 4 bolts that hold the roller channel on and slide window out. reverse for instalation

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

There's a linkage in the bottom of the gate that the window hits when it goes all the way down. This unlocks the handle so you can open the gate. Just put the window down half way and push the linkage down by hand to open the gate. It saves you the trouble of jumping power to the motor. Just make sure you've got someone on the outside to hold the gate while you open it so you don't break the glass.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy