Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power take-off - NP205

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 45acp, May 22, 2001.

1. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

I would like to run a hydraulic pump off of the power take-off of a NP 205. Has anyone done this? Has anyone seen a adapter or conversion for the use of the power take-off? Was a option offered for the use of the take-off and what was it? Thanks, Bill

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Check with a truck parts store that deals with medium and heavy duty trucks. There is an SAE standard for the PTO cover (six bolt rectangular cover), and I think there is interchangeability in the actual units between different transmissions, and transfer cases.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Something to note is a t-case driven PTO will have at least as many speeds as the tranny. That would be nice in some circumstances - like a rapid deploy/retrieve on a mechanical PTO winch. You'd have to make sure your pump could take that kind of input speed - or have a way of locking out gears on an automatic.

Most are SAE standard types - universal fit essentially. Look for a basic engage/disengage type. The forward-neutral-reverse type is more than you need for running a pump.

These PTO pumps are fairly common on tow-trucks.

4. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

I have a 87 chev 1 ton dually 2wd with a century hydralic wrecker and run the combo pto/hyd pump setup. it is a good working setup, but mine is driven off of the 4spd, as my truck is 2wd. my other truck is an automatic and I have the belt driven pump with the electric clutch pump and it works just as good. From my experience with 4x4's and pto winches, what I do know is the pto from a 203 will not work on a 205, the bolt pattern is the same but the gear pitch or depth is different, can't remember which. if running a hyd pump off of the transfercase pto you will have to probably run in third gear with the trans (assuming it's a 4spd std. to get the right rpm for the hyd. pump. on the 4spd std the pto runs off the third gear in the gear box if i'm not mistaken. If you are running a winch with your pto/pump setup I think I would just stay with a pto drive off the transfercase and use the traditional driveshaft setup to drive the winch. A friend of mine has this setup on a 74 chev 3/4 4x4 wrecker and it works nice. he uses the forward gears to spool out the cable, so it is nice and quick, then uses reverse to winch in, which is geared nice and slow to give him max pulling power and control. works very well. if you are running an auto trans, then you may be limited to the hyd setup, which should work, but I haven't had any experience with an auto trans driving a pto on the transfercase to power a hyd pump....I do have an address here of a fluid power mssg board that may be able to help a little more....just my 2 cents....ED

5. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Ed, I am interested in the address for the "fluid power mssg board". I want to us the hydraulic power for several accessary items as well as a winch so the conventional drive shaft is out. I have lots of questions so the message board would be a good place to start. Thanks, Bill

6. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

here's the address for the message board, not sure how to make it "clickable " so you may have to type it out...they got back to me with my answers in a day or two....good luck, and if you or anyone else has any questions that i may be able to answer about hydralics or pto winches I would be glad to help....in the towing business for about 12 years and have used many different combo's etc.....just my 2 cents....ED....oh, the address is http://www.fpef.org/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

FWIW My unit employs six CUCV Contact Maintenance Trucks M1031. The M1031 model CUCV differs from other model CUCVs in that it uses a NP205 transfer case with PTO. The PTO drive turns a Gilmer style cogged belt which drives a 3KW generator mounted above, in the shelter. For operations the truck must be in neutral transfer and drive transmission (TH400).