Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Power Timing"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Goose, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

\"Power Timing\"

I need the procedure for 'power timing' my 350. I have an aftermarket harmonic balancer as well as other aftermarket parts that make the stock timing marks and specs irrelevant. I've been able to get it close by just plain feel, but what the actual procedure. Do you disconnect the vacume advance?? Would it be better with the K5 fully loaded or mostly empty? I've searched all posts and found a few references to it, but no specifics. Thanks all.

[​IMG]

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

Re: \"Power Timing\"

i always do my timing on anything by feel,,,,i like to adjust it for different things,,if i go offroading for instance and i'm in low then i'll advance the timing,,,,but if i get it out on the open road i'll retard it so i get more bottom end power...
    if your looking for more grunt off the line then just turn the distributor counter clockwise till it start's running rough,,then turn it back till it smooth's out,,,,then go for a ride...
    if it ping's under load then turn it clockwise some more...
    just keep doing this till you feel like you have it where you want it,,,you made need to adjust your carb and such to keep the idle up if you can retard the timing that much without it pinging but i doubt it...i thinkn it's all a matter of preference of what kinda power your looking for,,,for more high end power then just do the opposite and advance the timing,,,hope this help's ya some.....

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. northgate

northgate Registered Member

The way I time an engine if it has no timing marks or has been modified is to run the engine at about 2800 rpm steady, then slowly advance the distributor until the highest rpm is attained. In other words, as you advance the timing, the rpm should go up if everything else is constant (throttle). When you reach your highest rpm, back it of slightly and then test drive it, making sure you put the engine under sufficient enough load to determine if you will have spark knock (pre-detonation) or not. If it does, just back it off little by little until the knock is gone. You may have to repeat this procedure again after you fill your tank again (fuel rarely is exactly the octane marked on the pump). This should get you close to the maximum amount of ignition timing without damaging your engine.

4. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

OK, now I don't know how many of you guys have TBI's with a modified chip, but I have on and I have to set my timing to 9 degrees w/the wire disconnected to get it to run good. BUT I was told that I should set it to factory specs "0" and the chip would change the curve and total it's self. Just wondering.

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???