Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power to Coil

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by atodd, Sep 23, 2003.

1. atodd

atodd Registered Member

My K5 has the 305 engine in it. I am having a problem starting it and I have traced it back to the coil on the distributor, which I have replaced. I also replaced the cap and rotor. But the coil doesnt seem to be getting power at all. The only way I can start the engine is to get out my charger, put it into a cold start mode(for starting the engine if you have a completely dead battery), then hook the gound to ground and then I have a wire comming off of the positive side of the coil comming back to the possitive side of the charger. This gives the coil power and then I can turn the engine over and it runs. I have tried tracing the positive coil wire back to wherever it goes, and every time I do I find it either going to the computer or the fuse area. I checked all my fuses and they are all good. I have a good computer that I am going to try tonight, but I dont know if thats the problem. I was wondering if it might be something to do with the ignition switch. The coil should be powered when the key is turrned(I would think). I dont know. If anyone has any ideas or ever had a problem like this I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks,

Aaron

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sounds like wire from the truck to the coil is not supplying power, i would just run a replacement from ign unfused port on fuse panel to the coil and be done with it, it apparently has a problem and it isnt feeding your p[rimary side.

3. atodd

atodd Registered Member

I figured it out!!! I got onto alldata at my school and printed some wiring schematics. I did some tracing and I found that I was missing the 10A fuse that was in the choke position. I put that back in and theres power back on the coil and its starts fine.

Thanks to all who looked at my post and anyone who replied.

Aaron