Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power to hei ? no spark? HELP QUICK !!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ColAdo82K5, May 16, 2002.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

on the way to the gas station the truck was running bad. only a few blocks to get there so i just pull in. smells like gas but no big deal. I fill up and go to start the truck.....it won't start.
    It will crank all day and the gas is definitly there. but no spark. I pulled a spark plug wire right next to the plug and didn't get shocked or see a spark or anything. I have a kill switch on the BAT line to the distributor, so i disconnected that and ran it like normal. still nothing.
    in the afternoon i will give live power to the distrib from the bat and use that to crank. (is this safe ? if i disconnect it when i ain't playing with it ?) If that does work. where does that hei BAT wire get it's power ? if it doesn't work, what should i look at next ? the cap/rotor/timing/choke/plugs/wires are all good to go. but i've never messed with the ignition module or coil. do those go bad quickly or what ? it ran bad like it did today, a few weeks ago one morning but nothing major. i'[d like to try to spend as little $$ as i can. I am poor right now put will be getting a job at autozone soon !
    I know you guys can fiqure this out. you know all !
    thanks
    Blake

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

When my coil was going bad my truck would run bad sometimes, and sometimes it would just skip a beat for a split second. I replaced that, and it ran good. Then when I came back home from college my truck wouldn't start. I thought my MSD burned out my coil so I switched to a new coil, and still nothing. So the next thing is the module (most likely) or the pickup coil which was my problem. (My truck nolonger has a module due to the MSD box.)
    If the problem is the module then you have to go under the cap to get to it. If it is the coil, then it is somewhere outside the cap or in the top of the cap. If it is the pickup coil then you have to pop the cap, rotor, and yank the distributor for the truck to replace it. I just did it, and it isn't real hard, just a PITA. The only tricky part is making sure you get the distributor back in without messing up the timing to much. I marked my distibutor in several places to make sure I got it back into place close to were it came out so the timing was close and the truck would start.

It is nice to not have a module because if the truck doesn't have spark, its either the coil or the pickup coil or wiring.

3. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

so, the shuttering, skipping a beat feel was the coil ??
    i think i will do the coil if my other plan doesn't work, might as well upgrade to an Accel coil. it's worth it apparently. Any other synmtoms on the module ? or coil ?
    thanks hoss,
    Blake

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, the coil would cause it to skip a beat, and stutter. If you are going to replace the coil (not a bad idea) then I would recommend MSD. I have MSD everything (except distibutor) and I like all there products alot.

I can't help you with symptons on the module. I haven't run a module in about 2.5 years, and don't think I ever had one go out. If you have the money, a new module is a good idea even if it isn't bad. They are known to go out in the worst place. If your module isn't the culperate, you can use your old one as a spare.

My last problem was my pickup coil. Its symtoms are your truck doens't start. It is either good, or bad, no middle ground from what I understand. For that like I said above you have to pull the dist. and take it apart to get the new pickup coil in. It isn't a hard job, just a little time consuming. Also you have to make sure you get the dist. back in as close to way it came out.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are on a budget. Before you do anything pull the module out of the Dist and take it down to an auto parts store like Napa, Checke Kragen ECT. They will test it for free. I think they will test coils too. That way you are not needlesly replaceing parts.

It sounds like your Module is bad to me.

6. 350S10NJ

350S10NJ Registered Member

I have never seen a module run poorly, they work or they don't, and they always go at the wrong time.(25 miles from nowhere)
    I suspect the ing. coil first, then the pickup coil

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Your HEI gets power via a wire from the starter that goes through a fusible link or two. That could also be your problem. Run a temp wire directly from your battery to the hot plug on your HEI and see if it cranks. If so, then your problem is wiring, nothing to do with your distributor.

I also assume that when you pulled a plug, you had it grounded when you looked for a spark during cranking? Hold it up against the block or something to do this. Pulling a plug and holding it away from anything and only connected to the plug wire won't ever show a spark. The circuit isn't complete.