Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power to manual doors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Apr 29, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Is it hard to convert power doors to manual doors? The power windows are shot and the locks are getting there. Do I have to replace the whole door or just the regulators? Thanks for any suggestions.

Money-->Blazer

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey BlazerGuy, You don't have to do anything for the locks, and just swap out the electric window reg for a manual one. Electric and manual doors are the same. Send the electric ones to me when ya get 'em out and I won't charge for this wonderful advice![​IMG]

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

It would seem that there is much more to the story then one lets on.Both doors are far from being the same inside. To provide manual operation the guts have to be removed from the door. Electric reg is done at the bottom of the door , where manual is done at the top where the handle has to be placed. The manual guts will have to be had and bolted in as well as replacing the inner door cover, sure if you want it to look tacky you can just blow in a hole for the rod the door handle fits on and leave the now inactive switches sitting there,which, by the way will be in the way of the articulation of the door handle, or replace it with one that has the hole for the handle in it with no switches showing. And if you like I can scan in the photo's from the chilton manual to show the position of both the manual and power door regulators. Not as easy as some would let on.

Now for the locks, they will operate the same, in manual or power, but they will operate much easier in the manual mode if you dis connect the power lock solenoid from the mechanism. Less drag with out having to cycle the solenoid all the time. And I also have photos for that. Any questions just ask...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The lock for the passenger side(its still works if I pull on it, but the power doesn't work) went out today, but it's not the fuse, I think its one of the wires. Eagle85K5, if you could scan those pics for me it would greatly help. Thanks

Money--&gt;Blazer

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Not a problem my friend. If you pull the door panel off you will see where the solenoid is connected to the lock works and remove it. Although I will tell you most of the time it is corrosion in the connector going to the lock. Pull the connector from the power lock and clean the connector, remove the lock and clean it. While it is out move the switch to test. 99% of the time it will continue to work correctly.I will scan the photo's for you tomorrow.

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I scanned the pic's of the doors for you. You will notice various differences between both doors, like I said they are not the same inside. And to change you would need to gut the doors and replace with the manual and get new inner door panels...

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

second pic which is the manual door

8. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Eagle...not to dispute, but I've bought the power regulators to convert my manual 78 doors to power. I test fit the passenger side, since I had to replace some weatherstrip anyway, and it bolts into the same four bolts that hold the manual one. I will say that you need to buy new inner door panels, so you have a place for the switches, and you have to be careful how you run the wiring back out the door, but other than that, it's a sort of simple bolt in.

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Another case of folks not reading the post, he wants to change from power to manual......and in light of some of the responses I thought I would include the photo's to show the guts to the doors are NOT the same...

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I have changed power windows into a formerly manual door. The doors are the same.....regardless of what those line drawings may or may not indicate. I sure can't tell. For me, it was a bolt in operation. It makes no difference going to manual or from manual, it's an easy swap if you have any ability at all. Eagle is correct about the door locks....they are very simple to "tune up" and make work like new.

11. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Being able to change a post is so nice is it not?

I do not dispute the validity of the doors being the same, any idiot would be able to surmise that GM in their infinite wisdom would not make 2 seperate doors. What I do dispute about your earlier post , prior to it being changed is that the guts are not the same and the inner door shells would also have to be changed. Making it a not so swap and go job as you would have the gentlemen to think.
    Needless to say, if in fact the gentleman decides to change from power to Manual he will find out and let us know just how easy and expensive it is to change.

12. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I haven't changed any of my posts and the inner door shells don't have to be changed....The whole door is the same. The "guts", as you so eloquently refer to them, are the only thing that have to be changed and any idiot should realize they are different.

13. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I will be blunt...you have no idea what you are talking about.

If in fact the inners were the same, then why does LMC, Chevy Parts, J.C.Whitney all list seperate door panels?
    You can look at page 3 of the last LMC book with the yellow chevy pickup on it and see for yourself , the panels are different. There are four choices...w/o power options...with power locks...with power windows....and with full power. Photo inclosed. On page 18 you can see that the regulators are different as well...one number for manual and a different number for the power regulator.

It is there in Black, white and color. There is nothing to argue about , the pictures and the book stand for themselves...

14. collegeK5er

collegeK5er Registered Member

HEY EAGLE,

THE GUY I BOUGHT MY TRUCK FROM WAS EXTREMLY LAZY, I GUESS AT ONE POINT THE PASSANGER'S POWER WINDOW WENT OUT AND HE CHANGED THE ENTIRE DOOR BECAUSE IT WAS EASIER AND EVEN CHEAPER, HE GOT A GOOD DEAL AT A JUNK YARD. ANYWAY I'M HERE TO PROVE A POINT, IT'S NOT JUST A SIMPLE SWITCH, THAT'S WHY I STILL HAVE ONE POWER WINDOW AND ONE MANUAL. HE WAS REALLY LAZY. ANY WAY IT'S NOW JUST A CONVERSATION PIECE. I HOPE THIS HELPS YOUR ARGUMENT.

Doin' it all on a budget

15. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Ok Eagle, I will agree that the plastic inner door panels are different. I assumed that was quite obvious to everyone involved. That is still a very easy (and expensive if new) item to change out. You have repeatedly said the doors are different. They are not. LMC list 2 doors for 77-91 Blazers a right and a left, nothing aout electric or manual. I misunderstood your reference to the "inner door shells" not realizing you were refering to the plastic panels. I apologize for my ignorance.[​IMG] I still say this is an easy swap and cheap if you shop where I do....wrecking yards. Which is all Blazerguy was asking in the first place. Still friends?

16. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

If you will look at the posts above you will see that I have not said the doors were different...Damn what does it take...

It would appear you make a lot of assumptions...nowhere does he say anything about wrecking yards...yet you put words in his mouth saying that is what he is talking about...oh I get it ...you are a mind reader...Sorry I assumed you were normal like the rest of us.
    In the Marines it was explained to me this way...never assume for when you do you make an ass-u-me.

17. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Go back and read your post jarhead...you say the doors are different! You finally admit they are the same, after I call you on it, in your later post. I said I shop in wrecking yards, you or no one else has to , it was just a suggestion to save money. I tried to apologize for my misunderstanding, but all I is get is marine attitude! You are the only ass in this deal!

18. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Dude...what the hell is your problem...READ THE DAMN POSTS!!!!!!
    I have read all the posts...NOWHERE does it say I said both doors are the same...EXCEPT your posts.
    I NEVER said the doors were different, I said the guts, the insides, the regulators were different.. In the above post I will repeat that I do not dispute the validity of the doors being the same. CAN YOU NOT understand english?

I did and still say the insides of the doors are different as well as the interior shell, which I provided pictures for those who are hard headed and wish to argue.

Now you can ramble on all you want the proof is in the pudding.I am done with this AND YOU Do not bother me anymore with your useless drivel....

19. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Eagle,
    Hey, sorry if I started an arguement. Didn't mean too. The metal doors are the same, the plastic panels are different. And of course the regulators are different. MICHAEL....if you don't find manual regulators anytime soon, email me...maybe after I get my doors painted, and I do the switch to power, you may want my manual regulators. Just a thought.

20. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

OK Eagle, in front of all our K5 buddies, I apologize to you for all this brouhaha. I was tryin' to help a dude by relying on my past experiences. For me it was pretty easy. I never meant to stir up all this mess. I really enjoy this board and all the different fields of expertise. It never fails that someone knows about or has done just about everything that can be dreamed up to the old (and new) K5's. It's hard to convey good natured criticisim and harassment in this printed format. I think if we would have fielded this question in person it would have lasted about three minutes instead of three days! Again my apologies to you and all the K5 dudes and dudettes![​IMG]