Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power to manual windows conversion?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hayduke, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

hey there all,
    the slow power windows in my rig downright blow. i was wondering how hard it would be to throw on a manual crank set up, what would i need? just the guts from a manual window set up? would it mount inside the same? i really don't care if the power switches are still there. i know that i would have to jump over to the pass side to roll the window up & down but i do that already with the power b/c the window needs help going up!
    thanks in advance..........
    peace.
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

<a target="_blank" href=http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com>http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com</a>

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

If you replace the window motors with new AC Delco units they roll up a lot faster. I did that about a month ago and they worked great. But dont have a use for them now with no windows.
    But if you want to go to manual windows, make sure and get everything out of the other set of doors. You can reuse you windows

86 Blazer 4"lift 35" MTRs locked front, still 1/2 ton axles.Other vehicles 69 Firebird with 525 hp,and a 70 GTO www.geocities.com/modifierperformance<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by DesertDueler on 08/19/01 01:14 PM.</FONT></P>

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Before you go and rip out the guts to change them out try a few things first. Take off the panels and clean the tracks out really well. Get all the crap jammed in there out and lube them up really well. Then clean the motors off as well. Make sure all the wires are connected right and the connections are clean. Check the wires for them being corroded or cracked. After you do this try them out to see how well they work. It might make a huge difference in them? I personally too, would see if the motors look basically they are gone. If so I would replace them. You can get them cheap enough at the junk yard... I mean if you planning to go to all the trouble of removing that stuff for manuals, might as well go through it to keep em.... lots easier then trying to lean across your rig on the highway to roll up your window! My .2 cents! [​IMG]

How can I miss you if you won't go away? [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; 1 Timothy 4:12 &gt;&lt;&gt;

4. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

DesertDueler, hey if your not using them, you want to sell them to a needy person. My are slow as dirt also, and need to remedy. Let me know, if you still have them and want to bid them farewell for a certain price.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

ChevyCaGal is right. If they are just slow then more than likely the tracks need cleaning. I just cleaned mine this weekend and they work like new (almost). What I did was remove the window and motor assembly. Do this by lowering the window all the way, remove the two bolts that holds the track in place next to the latch so the window has room to move. Then remove the 2 bolts and 2 nuts that hold the motor assembly in place. You should be able to seperate the window from the motor assembly now. Clean the track on the bottom of the window and regrease it with something like bearing grease. Also clean out the track inside the door the same way. Clean the motor assembly off and use your favorite degreaser to spray inside the 3 white plastic rollers so they move freely (there are 3 small holes that you can spray into), regrease these too. It shouldn't take more than a couple hours to do each door, most of the time is for cleaning.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by rampage on 08/19/01 10:12 PM.</FONT></P>