Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power train saver

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Saw this in one of the 4x rags:

http://www.gearcentregroup.com/ptsaver.html

Seems pretty cool. Could prevent difficult trail repairs. What do you guys think? The hard part would be picking the right size to prevent them from giving too early.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I say you will break them more than you would break parts on your rig. And what is the worst thing that can happen to your drivetrain? the shockload of something else letting loose, tell me how these get rid of that?

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The Titan that ran in TTC this year was using one of those. There is no way I would ever consider using them.

4. Mastiff

Why not? If you set it up right, isn't it just like a fuse? Wouldn't you rather blow a fuse than destroy your electronics?

I admit, it seems hard to set up.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

how are you going to know what pin to use that will break before something else? and then you would need two, one for the front and rear shaft. I dont like it, I would rather replace a u-joint then have another link in my drivetrain that I would have to deal with.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Consider the steering U-Joints. When going straight ahead they are far, far stronger than when turned to full lock.

Do you set the 'fuse' to fail b4 this U-J does at full lock or when going straight ahead?

If you choose straight ahead then what good is the 'fuse' going to do you at full lock?

If you choose full lock then you're going to pop the 'fuse' way, way b4 the steering U-J was any danger of breaking.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

dont think it has a current application for 4wd vehicles. Plus, you would have to rate it for the weakest link- aka, if you have a 14bff, but a d44 front, you better spec it for the d44 parts.

8. Mastiff

I think you put it in your driveshaft, one front and one rear.

That is a good point about the steering position though. I guess they need to invent an electronically controlled variable fuse linked to a steering sensor... :doah:

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

His point was that you'd have to run a fuse to the weakest part. In that case a Dana 44. Now if you have big tires or something, you'll blow fuses all the time. Get it?

Did the Titan compete in TTC? I thought he just went and played around on the stuff and took a lot of pictures that he posted on Pirate... And I'll try one on of those things on my truck if they pay me, I'll even let them write an article and take pictures for a magazine...

10. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Yeah, I have no idea if he competed. I just saw the thing on Pirate.

11. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

At $100 a set , thats expensive trial and error . I remeber reading about these in a big rig trade mag years ago , a good idea but hard to set up and big $ .

12. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

imo its better to find out where your truck breaks, fix that, over and over until you can stick all the power to the ground that your truck can muster