Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power window help!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jakentn 83k5, May 10, 2000.

1. jakentn 83k5

jakentn 83k5 Registered Member

this is a doozy..when i bought my blazer none of the power windows worked..I took the door panels off & the wires where a mess.I played with them until I got the drivers window to work..so now 3yrs later I have come to that part of my "to fix" list..today I went to the junkyard & got the plugs that go on the back of the switches & to the auto parts store & got new switches...I hooked it all up & here we go...drivers window will not go down but will go up, unhooked plug from motor & checked with meter,hit up button had power on one side of plug & not on other,hit down button had power on other side..it gets better. passenger window works fine from drivers side & not from passenger side. unplugged passenger side & checked with meter while wife hit drivers switch & had power, I would hit passenger switch & would have power...I DONT UNDERSTAND..HELP..GOING NUTS

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Maybe Eagle can explain better than I . The window motors work by having a power wire that stays on with the key . The switchs just swap grounds to make the motor turn so the window goes up or down . Sounds like one of your grounds is not working . hope this helps . let me know if you need more info or maybe Eagle will give you a diagram .

3. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

the motors work on reverse polarity hook it up backwards it goes down their are relays that run the windows.do you need a wiring diagram?

4. jakentn 83k5

see if i got this right...there should be power on the plugs when the key is on...then when you hit the switch it grounds one side? yes i need a wiring diagram..thanks..send to: jakeparvin@webtv.net

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the kind words...

The power for the windows comes from accessories and goes to the switch, the switch and motor are grounded through the harness, when the switch is rotated to the up position it then sends power to the motor to operate it in that direction, and vice versa, if it will operate in one direction but not the other, then the other wire is not supplying power to the motor. There are 5 wires going to the switch, power and ground to the switch and 2 power's and a ground going back to the motor, I have attached a simple diagram. It should be easy to troubleshoot.
    First remove the plug from the switch, use a meter, and with the key on, find the power lead, black lead to ground, red to the power. Then using continuity or the lowest resistance scale place one lead to ground(the door or dash) then find the ground wire. Now go to the plug that goes to the motor, find the ground just like before, the last 2 wires remaining are the power leads. Connect the cable back on the switch. Place your meter in the power mode selecting a range greater then 12 volts or auto if using a digital meter, place your black lead to ground, then place the red lead on one of the remaining wires to the motor, rotate the switch up/or down. If you get a reading of 12vdc then that side works, move the switch in the other direction and you should see a reading on the other wire, if not then it is bad between the switch and the connector to the door motor, if you do get a reading both ways then the problem is in either the connector or the motor. remove the motor and check for corrosion at the connector. If not try to take the motor apart and look for , bad brushes, broke wire and corrosion, if nothing else , hit the yards and try to find another, you might try taking both motors off and trying the test on both, if one works both ways and not the other you have found your problem.
    Hope this helps, if you need anymore help just ask, I do not mind helping the nice folks....[​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

6. jakentn 83k5

thanks for your help guys..heres where we're at...got up this morning & cleaned motor connectors..checked all circiuts..put all together & driver side switch would operate both windows perfectly..good huh..well, passenger switch would only take window up & not down..this is what is confusing me because the driver switch has to run through passenger switch yet driver switch will work & passenger won't..on the passenger side there are only 5 wires..2 from driver side..2 going out to motor..1 hot..how come this side doesn't have a ground like the drivers side? at least I cam get windows down now but definately going to keep trying till i get other switch going...again thanks for your help

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

This I am not sure about, but mine does the same thing, I believe it is a safety feature designed to keep kids from opening it and falling out, but my arguement would be it would be just as easy to run it up and get your neck caught. Because mine does go up and down from the drivers side I have not messed with it. But I would imagine that you could run an extra wire to defeat it, if in fact that is why only the driver side will control it.
    Anybody know for sure?????

2B1ASK1

8. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Mine work from both sides. I know of the saftey features on newer trucks, but that will lock out the passanger switch completely. It sounds like a bad switch on the passanger side. Try switching one from the drivers side over there to test the wiring.
    What do you think, Eagle? You have more experience (and diagrams) than I do...

Blazin' in Flagstaff

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Tell ya what, my passenger side is a pain cause it moves real slow and has to be helped, so this weekend i am going to take it apart and fix it. As soon as i can answer your question I will. It has bugged me as well but some things you can live with.....hehehehehe

2B1ASK1

10. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

Just tru this push hard in toward door on the whole not working switch while tipping it up or down to close or open window.
    That usually makes the loose connection (the hard push in) If it does remove pannel and lcean contacts wire to switch and all will be well.
    Typical of early 80's chevy windows but the hard push in will get you by untill you have time to fix it right.
    That will at least keep the rain out.

11. jakentn 83k5

no I dont think there is any kind of lockout on this thing..when I first got it & was playing around with the wiring I could get it to work some...all of my connectors are clean & in good condition..that will probably help your slow window eagle..mine fly now that everything is clean & lubed up..just wont work from pass side

12. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Well you can bet I will figure it out this weekend and will let you know what it is.

2B1ASK1

13. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

YOUR PASSENGER SIDE NEEDS A NEW SWITCH. MY 87 DID THIS WHEN I BOUGHT IT. REPLACED THE SWITCH,WORKS GREAT.