Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Window / Interior Door Panel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Feb 27, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Hey, my drivers side window will go down fine. Then will go up about 4", then stop. I can pull on it, get it almost all the way up, then it will start going on its own again, whats wrong??? I tried to pull the door panel off today. I took out every screw I saw. I got most of the panel loose, but it won't come loose on the top by the window, please help! Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

2. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

What year rig??? I'm facing the same thing. My passg. side glass on my '91 does same thing. Figure I'll take off the int. panel - if we get some advice- and what I plan to check is the alignment. I think you have to pull the bottom of the panel out, then push up to remove the door panel; I just don't know if that is right. When I worked in a garage, I remember pulling panels and still being able to raise/lower the window to see how it runs in the track. If you're brave, that's a way to figure it out and is what I'm planning to do.

[​IMG]
    <font color=red>David, '86 & '91 K5</font color=red>
    Forever missing Dale Earnhardt, who drove over more Fords than we could ever dream of

3. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

Mr Red is right you have got to push up on it if you can roll you window down that makes it easy but if not you can still get it off the same way Just pust up on it

[​IMG]If you want to run cool
    you got to run on Heavy Heavy Fuel

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com>http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com</A>

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The panel is a PITA to get off sometimes. You just have to force it up, it feels like your gonna break it in half. Use about 2 gallons of elbow grease, it'll come off eventually.

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Leftover nuts never match leftover bolts." [​IMG]

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Ok, is it going to be really hard to get back on if it is this hard to get off? Anyone have any ideas on how to fix the window its self? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It's not hard at all to get back on, it just kinda snaps back into place. You may wanna put a healthy amount of grease/WD-40(grease will last longer I believe)on the motor gear, regulator gears, and the little slider wheels. See if that helps first. Also check to slide wheel tracks for any obstructions that may be causing it to slow down or stop.

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Leftover nuts never match leftover bolts." [​IMG]

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I'd stay away from the WD-40 for the windows. They've changed the formula and it just doesn't seem to work as well now. I'd use some of the Special Marine Grease made by Lubriplate (Part #20601 for 14 oz can) for greasing the gears, slides and joints. This stuff never dries out, the melting point is 425 degrees and plain works great.

I'd be looking at the slide attached to the bottom of the window and also the rollers for the problem you're describing.

Smitty

8. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

very standard problem with blazers. passenger side usually goes first for some reason, then the driver's side.
    i found that a couple of beers makes the panel removal portion far easier. not enough to damage anything, but buzzed enough to just get the freakin panel the hell off that door!
    there's a few posts on this subject, describing remedies and techniques for cleaning everything out, or removal / installation of motors. do a search, there's diagrams and crap, too.
    my pass side is completely dead, and the driver's side will only go down if i help it. i think that project is creeping to the top of the list.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>