Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power window issue

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudbog42, Jan 8, 2007.

1. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Well over the years the right side power window has gotten slower and slower:thinking: and now it crawls and doesn't go all the way down now, and when it nears the bottom you now hear a popping noise:yikes: .

Would this be the regulator or the motor or a combination?:what:

Also just recently the passenger side cannot roll the window down but can roll it up and I on the driver side can still do both, :thinking: is that switch bad also?:1zhelp:

86 :k5:

2. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Have you tried cleaning all the 20 yr old grease from the tracks? I did this to my Burb, then gave it a good spray of white lithium grease, works like a champ now!

3. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

No but that doesn't sound like a bad idea, maybe I'll give that a try first. Can I get that grease at the local auto parts stores?

4. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

i solved the issues completely and pulled the guts from a pair of manual window k5 doors and swapped them in place of PWR junk.no regrets,more reliable and very easy to do.of course,i took a short cut on removing the power regulator:grind: worked just as well for heater core removal,also:D good luck if you decide to keep the power set-up!

5. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Ya I picked up the grease at Pep-Girls. It was time consuming. Save yourself a lot of time and buy a couple cans of brake cleaner are a long flexible pipe brush. I wish I would have!!

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Just pull the whole damn thing out! Takes about 45 minutes and is LOTS easier to clean, pull everything while you are at it and give it the once over as well:D:D