Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power window just stopped!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IL84JIMMY, Oct 5, 2002.

1. IL84JIMMY

IL84JIMMY Registered Member

Hey everyone, for the last week i have been putting plastic over my drivers window, when i park her, cause the window is stuck half way up. It is tickin me off. I don't know what happened, one minute it was fine ( as fine as an 84 power window can be, kinda slow) then i got out to run an errand and when i came back it just wont move. it is stuck halfway down adn wont go either way. i pulled the door panel and checked it out quick, and when i push the lever to put it up or down, i can hear a slight click at the motor, but it is very soft, so i dont think that it is electrical, cause that makes me think it is getting power. But can a motot just crap out just like that. one minute it is fine, and the next it doesnt do anything? it isnt even like the window is stuck, cause it doesnt move at all when i try to put it up. what is going on? can someone tell me. i am sick of the plastic all the time,adn it is starting to get chilly here in IL in the mornings. if i cna figure it out, is there a way that i can just manually crank it up, and then just leave it up until i can get around to it. that would be fine too. so any help would be much appreciated. thanks everyone you guys are the best.

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

go from easy(and cheap) to hard, check the fuse, then the switch, then the ground and, motor. all are available at NAPA or car quest. all are easy to fix, even the motor (NOTTTT!!!!) motors a bi@#h and its a few bucks. good luck /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You hear something at the motor, that means there is electricity, but sometimes it's not enough.
    Try getting direct electricity to the motor and see if it's any different.
    If that doesn't work and you want to roll the window up, try and find a place gears show and pry them with a screw driver to help the motor turn an roll it up.
    IceMan

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Probably a bad motor. It's not that bad of a job to replace. I just did one and it took me less then 2 hours and that included the time to pull the motor out of a spare door I have.

5. GOK5

GOK5 Registered Member

Just took off my door panels on my '88 last weekend for almost same reason. They would slow to a crawl & then stop about half way up. Instead of replacing motors, I first took out the switches & cleaned them w/ electical contact cleaner. Next, I lubed up the window tracks & brackets. You would'nt believe the difference it made. They now roll up & down almost same as when it was new. Just a thought, as it was much easier to try this first then replace the motors right away.

6. IL84JIMMY

IL84JIMMY Registered Member

See guys, the problem isnt that i dont have thepower to get it up, it just wont go up period. NO matter how much i pull, it doesnt budge,a dn i cannot hear my motor making any noise, like it is trying, just the little click right when i push the lever. adn i wont go up or down, it just is stuck right hwere it is, and it wasnt going that slow before it stopped, it just stopped. what about any connections on the motor that may have come loose that i could check out, passenger side window goes up and down fine, so that should mean that it isnt the fuse right? but how do i know that i have power at the motor, all i have been thinking is that that click has to mean it has power. so any thoughts would be great, thanks for everything so far.

7. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

take off the door panel, and at the end of the motor is a plug, remove the plug, and check for voltage. if you have voltage then it may be the motor, but i would try running a wire from the battery to the motor and checking for enough amps to move the window.
    if the jump wire does not move teh motor then the motor is bad and needs replacement.
    if the jump wire works, then it is in the switch leg somewhere.
    have you tried pulling up on the window while someone else hits the switch?