Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Window Motor - DONE! (see post below)

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by woody9, Jul 6, 2003.

1. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

thought there was a thread on here about replacing power windows. Don't seem like the best job for a sunday afternoon, but before i get 3 fingers zipped off by a spring i didn't release, figured i'd ask and see if anyone could tell me where to go.. er, i mean point me to the thread! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Maybe i should suck a beer first to get in the proper frame of mind and obtain the necessary dexterity to do this? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    (good thing i ordered a motor a while back.... but it was for a different door than the one that krapped out!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Power Window Motor

The window motors that I've bought came with directions and pictures of what to do so that the spring in the regulator doesn't cut your fingers off. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Have you opened the box and checked inside yet? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You'll also have to drill out the rivets that hold the motor to the door from the factory. There should be new bolts and nuts in the box with the motor, to use in place of the rivets on reassembly. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Directions? Pictures? Whaaa?????

I knew them there Helm books would be worth their weight in gold one day! today may have been it!

Actual problem i bought the motor (ebay)for was DR/FRONT door (primarily below about 18 degrees only); Thursday @ work the dr-side/rear door deceided to get stubborn! V-Stubborn!

It went a LOT smoother than i thought it would, and only thing was NONE of the manuals had a handy little arrow that said 'drill hole here, knucklehead!!'. (maybe in the PW Motor repair for dummies?) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Now wish i had a 2nd one for the front (as long as it's 1/2 way apart!!!), and here in the suburbs of no-where Wisconsin, there isn't a parts house for 60-70 miles (even if i'd get there in time).

Didn't have to drill anything but that hole for the 'lock-down' screw Harry! Pretty happy with that! Cleaned/Greased/lubed everything in sight and now that door works better than the other 5! (barn doors included!!)...

NOW i KNOW it's Miller time! (well, Coors Light time anyway!).

Happy weekend all!