Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Window Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hektyk, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Well I did a search on here but it did'nt help me. My power windows don't work at all. I have power windows in the front and the rear window. Nothing works at all my rear window works when I use the key from the outside but nothing in the inside. The pass side switch isn't hooked up, does it all have to be a complete circuit to work. The guy I bought it from said they worked then just stopped one day. I checked all of my fuses and they are all good?

2. st08x

st08x Registered Member

window motors maybe...? would that be too much of a conicidence for them to all shut off at the same time? i have power windows in the front and a manuel in the back (thankfully). i have had to change the motors in the front on the drivers side twice and the passenger side once and the motors still tend to fall of the mounting inside the door no matter how tight i tighten it. I dont think u need the whole circuit connected.

My K-5

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It sounds like the PO is feeding you a line of BS. All the power windows operate on their own circuits- the chance of them all letting go at the same time is slim to none.

Door power accessory failures can often be traced to the wiring that is routed through the rubber conduit between the door and the body. To pull that sucker out of the way to inspect the wiring you'll have to drill out a couple of rivets. I've had to reconnect almost every wire that goes to the pw/pl switches- keep in mind that your wiring is 20 years old and may need some TLC.

4. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Ya I can understand that. Is there a connector in the rubber door jamb or just staight through wires?

5. Can Can

The wires go straight through. The problem with the setup is that the factory harness didn't allow much play. Imagine the stress those wires have gone through- 20 years of door slamming has to take it's toll, eh? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

You need to have BOTH window switches for the side windows to work, been there done that so that may be the start of your problems, I don't think that should have anything to do with your rear window so that may be it's own problem in itself.
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Can Can

Are you sure? When my driver's side window quit working the passenger side was still operable. Like I said, this was caused by a broken wire. So it seems logical that the two systems aren't tied together and work independantly.....

8. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

When I took my pass. side door panel off to do some work inside and left it off for a few days, along with the pass side window control, the windows wouldn't work OR the door locks, so I plugged them back in and everything worked correctly> my truck is all stock and unmolested so it's not like someone has done some bad wiring.
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Well I would have hooked it back up but I hav eno idea what wire goes where. Is there something like a diagram that will show me what colr wire goes where?

10. Can Can

I checked one of my manuals. I'm no wiring guru, but I think it goes like this:

Right window- Dark Blue for Up----Brown for Down

Left Window- Dark Blue/White Stripe for Up-----Tan or Brown for Down

I hope this helps. I'm not that good at deciphering wiring diagrams.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I checked one of my manuals. I'm no wiring guru, but I think it goes like this:

Right window- Dark Blue for Up----Brown for Down

Left Window- Dark Blue/White Stripe for Up-----Tan or Brown for Down

I hope this helps. I'm not that good at deciphering wiring diagrams.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya me neither. Well theres 5 wires that connect to it though. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Anyone else know??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I converted my doors from standard to power. I downloaded the diagram from some web site. I don't remember which one, sorry.

This will require the correct plug for the back of the switch:

Your pink wire is a fused positive for both doors.
    On the drivers door only, there will be a black ground wire.
    Solid blue and brown go to motors on both doors.
    Tan from drivers door goes to tan on pass door.
    Blue/white from drivers door goes to blue/white on pass door.

It's late and I'm tired so forgive me if the rest of this makes no sense or is hard to follow =)

Here is how the circuit works.

The motors are reversible. If you hook a pos to the blue and a neg to the brown, the motor will go one way (lets say up). Now if you put neg to the blue wire and pos to the brown wire it will go down.

Both doors get their own positive. The drivers door controls the negative supply for both doors. The drivers door feeds a constant negative to both the tan and blue/white wires on the passenger door. The switch on the pass door will toggle the neg and pos to make the door go up or down. The drivers door switch has both pos and neg so it toggles the polarity internally.

Here is how the drivers door controls the pass door:

The drivers door is able to control the passenger door since it has control of two wires going to the pass door switch. It will switch the polarity on the two lines going to the passenger door to make the pass switch act accordingly.

Good luck

14. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I can't post an image so I'll do my best to describe where the wires go on the back of the switches.

The following is based on looking at the back of the switch with the switch being in the correct position, meaning if you push the button up the window will go up.

Passenger door:
    has 5 pins which will look like this

Back of switch
    --------------
    |____________|
    |____1__2____|
    |____3__4____|
    |_______5____|
    |____________|
    |____________|

1 = Blue/white from drivers door switch
    2 = Pink - fused positive
    3 = Solid blue to motor
    4 = Brown to motor
    5 = Tan from drivers door switch

Drivers door:
    has g pins which will look like kind of like this:

Back of switch
    ------------------------
    |______________________|
    |____1____________2____|
    |______________________|
    |____3___4_____________|
    |_____________5___6____|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|

1 = Black - ground
    3 = Blue/White to pass door switch
    4 = Tan to pass door switch
    5 = Solid blue to door motor
    6 = Brown to door motor

Please note that these doors are from an 82 and the wiring diagram I had was for an 87. It works perfect but there *could* be a different style switch/circuit.

15. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't post an image so I'll do my best to describe where the wires go on the back of the switches.

The following is based on looking at the back of the switch with the switch being in the correct position, meaning if you push the button up the window will go up.

Passenger door:
    has 5 pins which will look like this

Back of switch
    --------------
    |____________|
    |____1__2____|
    |____3__4____|
    |_______5____|
    |____________|
    |____________|

1 = Blue/white from drivers door switch
    3 = Solid blue to motor
    4 = Brown to motor
    5 = Tan from drivers door switch

Drivers door:
    has g pins which will look like kind of like this:

Back of switch
    ------------------------
    |______________________|
    |____1____________2____|
    |______________________|
    |____3___4_____________|
    |_____________5___6____|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|

1 = Black - ground
    3 = Blue/White to pass door switch
    4 = Tan to pass door switch
    5 = Solid blue to door motor
    6 = Brown to door motor

Please note that these doors are from an 82 and the wiring diagram I had was for an 87. It works perfect but there *could* be a different style switch/circuit.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well I went outside and hooked it all up and still nothing. The wiring was just as you said but still no juice. I checked the pink wire and it had no power so I hooked up another hot wire to it and still nothing. I have looked for the fuse in the fusebox but I don't know whats what. Is there any kind of diagram for the fuse box.

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

pm'ed you

17. Can Can

Thanks for taking the time to clear that up brother. Like I said, I'm pretty green when it come to wiring diagrams.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

18. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Yet again CK5 saved the day.....

From way back in time.