Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power window problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Feb 10, 2004.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I read through a lot of old post, but I couldn't find the exact problem I am having.

84 w/ power windows.

window goes down fast, but will not go up always. Gets stuck at the same 3 places, 1" from the bottom, in the middle, and 1" from the top.

This leads me to believe I have a problem with the tracks.

My questions...

1. Does this sound like I need a new motor or track assembly, or just the usual tear down, clean, and grease?

2. How do you get the window out? I have the door panel off, but I cant figure out how to get the trim around the window off without tearing it up.

Hmmm...I thought I had more but I guess that is all for now. TIA

2. Ben

Ben Registered Member

You answered your own questions.
    Process of elimination. Remove the inside panel and look inside the door for binding along the tracks. If it's going down fine and slow going up, sounds like a motor problem. If you have not done any work on the window tracks lately then no reason exsist for the tracks to be binding on their own unless the felt that runs along the channels is worn out and binding. Again, sounds like the motor is going.
    LMC sells them for about $70.00.

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Ok, that makes sense.

And the big question...how do I get the window out?

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You have to take out the vent window. There's a few screws on top of the door, a bolt on the bottom of the assembly and I think you have to remove the little Z shaped brace near the mirror mounts...not sure though. It'll take some wrestling to get the vent out(careful, I damn near knocked myself out last time I did it but it was a lot of blood) Once the vent is outta the way you can slide the glass off the regulator and pull it out...

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You have to take out the vent window. There's a few screws on top of the door, a bolt on the bottom of the assembly and I think you have to remove the little Z shaped brace near the mirror mounts...not sure though. It'll take some wrestling to get the vent out(careful, I damn near knocked myself out last time I did it but it was a lot of blood) Once the vent is outta the way, unbolt the other vertical track near the door lock then you'll be able to slide the glass off the regulator and pull it out...