Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power window question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by The_Danimal, Jun 11, 2006.

1. The_Danimal

The_Danimal Newbie

I have a problem with my drivers side power window.... it's kinda got me stumped because i've never had something like this happen, they've either worked or not worked....

when i roll down my window (using the manual or automatic function of the button), it get's stuck about 3/4s of the way down. it will not roll up or down immediately thereafter; however, if i wait a few minutes and try the switch again, it will roll all the way down or all the way up... does this sound like a motor problem to you? has this sort of thing happened before to some of you, some insight would be awesome, thanks.

btw, it's a 95 blazer with all power options.

2. shockline

shockline Registered Member

my 84 did the same thing. my motor is a little tired, but i took off the door panel and got inside and lubbed up the gears and tracks for the set up and it worked much better, not 100% but it did not get stuck anymore.

3. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Ya if you get in there and clean all that old grease off your tracks and then re-lube them, it should work pretty good. I agree with shockline though, your motor sounds tired. Do not replace the motor w/o cleaning your tracks, it would be like peeing in the wind.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

The reason it stops working altogether and then starts up again is because the power window circuit is on a self-resetting circuit breaker. When you're leaning on the button and the window is grunting, it over-amps and pops the breaker. Once it cools down and resets, it works again.

Go ahead and clean the tracks and see if it helps but you'll probably end up getting a new motor. I found mine brand new on eBay for like $16 each. Might as well replace it if you have the whole door torn apart anyway.

Of course, if the window doesn't seem to be moving slow or anything, you might just need to replace the breaker.

5. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Where is the breaker located?

6. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

It might say in your owners manual, same section as bulbs and fuses.

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Should be right in the fuse box with everything else, unless 94 is different for some reason.