Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power window switch tip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by heavy4x4, Oct 13, 2002.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

As some of you may know, I'm in college. Well, the truck's been sitting at home for over a month and I went home this last weekend and drove it. Things were allright although it was definitely evident that it hadn't been run in over a month. Anyway, on to the subject of my post. When I got in and went to unlock the doors, I pushed the switch up, and nothing happened. Then I pushed it up really hard and the doors unlocked. The passenger side had been doing this for over a year and I was convinced that the switches were just getting old. So, knowing that if the switches were going to be junk, I didn't care if I wrecked them. So, out came the WD-40. I put that little red tube thing (the one you always lose) on and sprayed right inside of the switch. Let me tell you, it was awesome. The WD-40 must have eaten any corrosion that was on the electrodes because now the switches work like brand new. You barely have to push them at all and the locks go up and down. Fastest and easiest fix to crappy power window controls ever...try it!

2. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

Yea they get full of dirt and moisture and start to corode(sp)I usually pull them out and clean all the contacts with emery cloth and put some electriccal lube on them

3. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

If you can get koprshield from an electrical supplier, it works great, never comes off increases conductivity, and will not allow oxidation.

Matt

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the Tip I'm going to try it now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif