Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power window troubles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78GMCJIMMY, Jan 27, 2005.

1. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

My driver side power window doesn't work at all(no up,no down), but i can hear the motor running and a loud click or pop! I am just wondering if the window regulator is bad or is there a gear on the motor that could be stripped?I don't know and really could use some tutoring on this one guys.Thanks in advance.

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Take the door panel off and see if anything is noticably wrong. It's probably one of the two nylon gears inside the motor that are stripped.

3. rerun93

rerun93 Registered Member

mine does the same thing. but mine is the window regulator. if i hodl the window up it will pop and click and hold it up. but wont bring it up on its own. iam missing a few teeth.

4. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

It sounds like your rollers could be out of place, take off the panel and look carefully at the arms with the rollers in the channels, if one is not in the channel that could be your problem, if they are in their proper channels then the two replies above could be correct.
    Mike

5. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Those power windows are really easy to take appart , just pop off the door panel , un-plug the wiring harness and take out the 4(?) bolts holding the motor regulator set up.

You will just have a little trouble getting the rollers out of the track and then the power motor and reg. out of the door itself can be a pain
    Just take your time and it will come appart:thumb:

6. veris

veris Registered Member

I just did a motor replace recently, on an 87 and getting the motor and regulator in/out was the biggest pain. What you have to do is drill a hole in the regulator assembly and thread in a screw before you can take to motor off. otherwise the return spring will fly off. The motor must be removed before you can slide out the reg./motor out of the door.

Clean the whole assembly well, and check the motor. To check the motor just plug it back in, and see if it turns freely on its own.

Putting it back in is kind of a juggling act of getting the reg. wheels to fit properly in the channels. Its a pain in the as*, so make sure everything is well lubbed with lithium greese and it moves freely, you dont want to have to pull it back out.

7. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

On my old 85 1/2 ton I was able to get the whole motor regulator set up out as a unit...

It was a matter of moving it around until it was able to come out , a major pain but it can be done