Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power windows are sloooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Erich_in_AZ, May 22, 2003.

1. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

OK, we all know the power windows are not exactly fast in the earlier Chevies, but this is nuts! My fronts take about 15 seconds each to roll up (one at a time of course). Both front windows have new motors, but they are still horribly slow. Anyone make a faster motor for these? Any tips or tricks? It's an '83 burb.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Make sure that the motors are getting the full 12 volts, if not they'll obviously run slow. It also helps if you grease up the regulator and the felt tracks. And check to make sure that the felt is in good condition, because sometimes it splits, then the window tries to push up inside the felt and not between(if that makes any sense /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif). Good Luck...

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

grease all moving parts inside the door and get some graphite powder for the felt tracks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

run 24V to them they will go really fast /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    BTW dont its a joke /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

My passenger side was slow for a long time even after lubing up the tracks and replacing the felt. What I did was clean up the contacts on the switch. Just remove the switch and pop the connector off the back. Then I used a Dremel with a wire wheel and clean up all the contacts. I also disassembled the switch itself and cleaned up the inside. Everything was coated with dielectric grease to help prevent corrosion and improve contact. It took about 30 mins and it now operates much faster. Much cheaper than the $25 for the switch assembly from the parts store.

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

get yerself some silicone spray for the window runs, and the regulator, spray them down, pull the wire off the motor, check for full 12 volts, if you have it, grease the connector with dielectric grease and reinstall, retry...

7. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I have found the rollers to be the weak link in the system. Every GM power window door I have taken apart has had at least one out of three rollers seized. If these do not turn they will slide and that slows it down quite a bit. They are hard to free up once they have been seized and often start to break apart but thats what you get for using plastic bearings /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good news is they only cost $5 for a new roller and rivet. Bad news, you have to take out the regulator to replace them...

8. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

Gonna try some of these things this weekend. Thanks for the tips!

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have heard that window motors from a Pontiac Grand Am will work on our regulators and they are supposed to be much faster.

10. scottnj

scottnj 1/2 ton status

Clean out the tracks and rollers with a de-greaser. Then re-grease everything. Dont use white lithium grease. It seems to get hard and slows it down quite a bit. Just did mine a couple months ago and they are faster then they ever had been.
    Thanks to everyone here and the posts I read.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif [​IMG]