Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power windows are slow

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rezalb, May 26, 2000.

1. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

The power windows on my 83 K5 are slow (at best). When I bring the rpm's up the passenger side is a little faster on the way up. I of course tried the wd40 in the tracks with no improvement. Do the motors have adjustments? Can a shade tree mechanic change motors with a backpack full of tools?
    What should I expect to pay for a window motor?
    Thanks,

rezalB

Built for a purpose.

2. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

Mine does the same thing. and I would like to know the same thing.

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

3. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

You might need a bigger alternator to give it more power, or a bigger battery you said when the rpms go up the window goes up a little faster, to me that's a sign of needing more power I might be wrong but get a second opinion and a third one good luck buddy.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    Simply spraying wd-40 down in the dark wont help. I urge you to take out the asembly and clean all the old roaddust and sticky old grease off. Then regrease and use contact spray on all el-connections. I promise you it will work again, mine did..

<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>

5. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

THANKS- That is a great illustration, did it have R&R instructions for the door panels and components?Tools?
    It will be a few weeks befor I get to fixin, got to finish
    trans work..he he he he
    I KNEW I COULD COUNT ON YOU GUYS FOR ANSWERS.
    rezalB

Built for a purpose.

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

First get the panel off. The clips on the topp needs some wigling and fine-picking.
    Now the scissor-assembly need's to come out of the biggest hole. Remove the 3 nut's and slide it out of the sash-channels, The window will dropp on your hands, have a friend handy.
    Disconect the plugg to the motor and voila!
    When you have it on the ground you can disconect the motor from the scissors. Clean and connect it back to the plugg for some spinning while you spray it down with your favorite spray....
    The spring may have rusted, so maybe soacking it over night in some rust-loosener will get it flexing like new again.
    When everything is clean and shiny reinnstall. Maybe using a brush and cleaning the channels in the door also. Use quality grease.
    good luck! Send private or repost if you get stuck.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>

7. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

i have the same problem but what i found was a little different when i took my door panels off: once they were off both windows scooted up and down like champs, and i didn't add grease or clean anything. the problem was the rubber flange/boot thingy that runs left to right along the inside of the door panel and brushes up against the window was pushing too hard against the glass causing it to move slowly. i'm still trying to figure a way out to alter this piece....
    HAYDUKE

8. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Espen88K5 is right most power windows on need lubed. This will also help motor last longer, I use white lithium grease. The windows barely worked on my 57 buick cleaned and greased they work like new, my 87 K-5 is next.