Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Windows -----> Manual Windows

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjimmy82, Mar 29, 2007.

1. bigjimmy82

bigjimmy82 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is it possible to swap all the parts from a manual door into a truck with power doors? Any differance in the door shell itself?

Thanks ahead of time!

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

No difference in the shells. Might be a difference in interior supports but I haven't noticed any. Then again I actually haven't put my power stuff in the manual door yet.;)

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

they are the same

4. bigjimmy82

bigjimmy82 1/2 ton status Premium Member

awesome:D , because power windows suck

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Actually they are great till they break down. :D
    I hate my manual windows but worst I had was it gets a little hard to close and I build some muscles.
    I had an electric and it stopped in the middle of a storm, I had to drive home wet, and then tear into the door to find a wire fell off the switch :o

6. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Yes. I did this on mine (driver's side anyway) When my motor burned out I bought a manual regulator on ebay for $18.00 and that was it. The crank post actually lined up with the cutout for the power window switch, so I didn't even have to cut a hole in the plastic door panel.

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You will have an extra/larger hole on the driver's side inner plastic panel.

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've done it.. 77 manual guts into 87 doors.. everything bolts up...

screw power doors, manual all the way! Now I just need to do a truck tailgate... :wink1:

9. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

I'm too lazy for manuals, hehe. I just wish I could speed up the dang things. I would also like to somehow magically attach a modern car's armrest style switches to the door. I don't like the flat-on-the-door switch configuration.

10. LEEREED123

LEEREED123 1/2 ton status

I AGREE! does anyone know where i can get a faster power window motor?

11. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

There is a universal kit thats real fast. You use the manual window guts, and the motor goes onto the crank shaft. I've helped two friends swap the power guts for manual, then wire the universal parts to the factory wires.

12. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

I just did the swap on my drivers door the only difference was, the rail on the power door was welded to the inside of the door. All I did was took a prybar to it and it popped right off, then I reassembled the manual guts with no problems.

when hanging the doors you will have a hard time aligning them up because the old bolt marks on the hinges are for the other blazer so you'll have to hit and miss it till you get it right.

13. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

You could switch to compressed air. lol I see it alot on "big rigs".

I prefer manual because ...well just because I like water and its one less thing to protect from shorting out.

Quick

14. Gorillajeep

Gorillajeep 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am in the process of doing this now. The only thing now is the windows are super hard to roll up and down. Probably what burnt up the motors. Any sujections?
    James

15. ryoken

The obvious things to do are grease the regulator at the teeth and rollers and make sure the track felts are ok.. Something is more than likely binding...

The lower side tracks are "tweakable" even tho they have fixed bolt positions. Try loosening the bottom bolts of the side tracks and operate the window to see if it gets better...

16. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have been thinking of mounting an extra 6V battery on board somewhere with a DC-DC converter to charge it. Then the window circuit would get powered from 18V, which would make it much faster (225% more power). It would just need a bypass so that if you run down the 6V battery the windows can run on 12V until that battery charges back up. The other advantage I am interested in is that the window voltage could be regulated the same whether the engine is running or not. Ever have to start the engine just to get a window up?

Oh yeah, I think these motors have a thermal breaker on them, either to prevent burning up the motor or to prevent rolling somebody's neck up in the window. I think that is the biggest thing to degrade over the years, slowing down the motors. This might be built into the switches themselves, though. Obviously, a little lube in the tracks is always a good thing, too.

I have always believed that replacing all of the factory window wiring with new heavier gauge wire would make a big difference, but I've never connected a voltmeter to the motor when it's running.

17. ryoken

bah, manual all the way... screw that fancy schmancy stuff... :wink1: