Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power windows suck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Jun 13, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

How hard is it to convert to manuals? I hate my power windows!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Amen, brother. Power windows suck!
    Should be able to install manual regulators and have manual windows /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. You will probably have to get new/different door panels that have holes for the splined regulator shaft to poke through. Those and a couple window crank handles then, in my opinion, you just improved the hell out of your truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Just see if someone with manual doors wants to trade /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Nah, just cut holes in the existing panels...

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks moses. And I'd have to agree. AFter I shorted my wires, i've had enough. Before they wouldn't hardly roll down for the mud that is gunked in there, but not not at all. I'm done.

89, have you done this to your truck? I wouldn't mind cutting holes in the existing panels if i was sure it wouldn't be too ghetto. Any advice or parts i gotta switch?

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah definately an option, except i'd lose the killer blue paintjob that way. Of course, I seem to be loosing it as is, one dent at a time!!!

7. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

You might want to PM Bigmeats, I think thats his name. He bought my old doors for that same purpose. So if he's done it he might be able to tell you how hard it was. And I'll keep my eye's open for a set if ya want. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah I"ll do that, thanks. If you run across something cheap, then let me know. I had a good set but gave them away. Wish I hadn't now...

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I did the swap on my '84. It's very straight forward. Just pull all the power stuff and bolt in the manual regulator. You don't even need to cut a hole in the door panel either since the crank shaft sticks right through the hole where the window switch used to be. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think the hardest part was wrestling with the vent window out and manhandling the glass back in...

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

u wouldnt have pics showing how u did ur swap would ya? i got a couple of manual window regs and Id LOVE to get rid of my power window crap...

j

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Nope, no pics, but heres what ya gotta do:
    (bear with me, I'm trying to remember how it all goes together but you'll understand better once ya get in there)
    1. remove door panel, making sure the window is rolled down - remove all screws, push up on the panel to remove it, it will be hard. Unplug the switch harness, leaving the switches in the panel, you can deal with these bad boys later.
    2. with the window down, remove the vent window assembly - there are three screw on top of the door and one in the middle of the door. I can't remember but you may have to remove a bolt that can only be accessed from under the side mirror cover. Pulling this dude out will be tricky.
    3. Once you get that crap out, loosen the other window guide and manuver the window out of the regulator track and remove the window.
    4. Unplug the motor and unbolt the regulator and slide both out, I think you can leave the motor bolted to the regulator but I can't remember,
    5. Now bolt the manual reg in place, it bolts to the top 4 holes whereas the power reg uses the bottom 4 holes.
    6. "Installation reverse of removal" - Haynes Manual

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I got 2doors(left and right) with manual windows I can pull every thing out them for you

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

power windows, locks, they all suck. after time they break. the only thing that needs power is the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif