Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Windows

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Dec 14, 2000.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Has anyone out there converted from power windows to manual windows? I know it sounds dumb, but I am tired of the slower than molasses windows in my Blazer! I replaced the driver's side window motor, but it didn't do much. They draw huge amounts of power when I use them, is there something wrong? I mean, the voltmeter shoots down to like 9 or 10 volts when I use them! I know my alternator must not be putting out enough juice (and why I am saving money for a 200 amp Powermaster!) but is there anything else to check? The back window is even worse, sometimes I have to get out and use my hand to "help" it up!! Anyone else have these problems?

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Personally, I wouldn't buy another K5 without power everything........I know the hardcore guys will probably give me a ration about this, but for me, beats trying to roll down the passenger window from the drivers seat, as well as the rear window when the rain starts. Value of a K5 with power options is higher (to a buyer), and I just like power/trick stuff.

Now as to your problem. Make sure your switch connections aren't corroded for one. Take the door panel off and lube the track, that is usually why they run slow, there is so much crud built up that it puts a lot of resistance against the motor working.

Rear window same treatment. Try it without it going into the top channel - lift the tailgate up just before it closes, then trip the door latches and have someone (or yourself with the key switch) run the window up. If it goes up appreciably easier, you may have misalignment with the tailgate to top mating area (easy guys [​IMG]). Usually just a crud build up problem and lack of lube.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

all of what blazzinor said is true also the felt guides when old will swell. go out and find some white (or black/grey the black/grey is more messy) powder teflon and put generis amounts on all felt seals and this should help this has worked wonder 4 me. note only do this when dry hope this helps

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

oh you can also get white spray liquid teflon but i prefer the powder

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

5. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

all the above advice is correct. Try to fix the problem instead of taking the time, effort and maybe even money to switch your door over to manual. I wish I had power even if it was slow as you say. Leaning over sucks..........js

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Come to think of it, a long while ago I did spray some WD40 in the window track once and it did help some...I will try to get my hands on some of that Teflon and see if it helps. I know, when they finally work I will like them, but man, I have to pull them up to get them closed...and if the motor is not on, they just stop, they won't go anywhere. And I replaced the weatherstripping in the windows a while back, so it is not that it is old...but thanks for the info guys, I will try these suggestions out!

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I switched mine to manuals, one of the best mods I've made[​IMG] It was fairly straight forward took me about 3 hours for both doors. Probably the hardest part was getting the glass out without scratching it. I wouldn't buy another K5 with power windows('cept the rear one[​IMG]).

[​IMG]

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Pull off the inner door panels so you can get to the entire window track. You can only reach maybe 20% of it from the top opening. Lube it all up. I also spray white lithium grease into the window mechanism where the little plastic wheels slide across as the window goes up and down. You'll be amazed how much better it will work once you get everything lubed properly.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com