Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Tybee, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if anyone else has the same experiences with there diesel. Sometimes I notice a big difference in power the engine has from day to day, some times it lags other times it doesnt and I dont know why. Any ideas for why it does this?

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

2. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Mine's started doing this now that I'm plugging vaccuum leaks. I think it's due to the EGR engaging all the way.

My theory (at least for my truck) is that when the EGR is kicking in 100%, my engine isn't getting enough fresh air, and I lose power. When the EGR isn't working (vaccuum leak suckin air), it stays closed, and I get nothing but fresh air.

I wonder if there's a difference in the size of EGRs for low and high altitude engines?

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I guess ill lookat it this weekend, and I would think all the altitude differences are with the fuel pump but you never know.

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

4. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

I've noticed this too. I think its maily differences in atmosphereic conditions. Diesels are more sensitive to temperature and pressure than gas engines. Cool high pressure days are the best for power. Also I think it depends on how you run the engine. I've noticed if I've been drving around town alot my perfomance suffers some. I need to run it on the freeway for a couple of hours or go pull some hills to "clear things out." I think if you don't clear it out once in a while you get soot deposits on the injectors which can hurt perfomace.