Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Powered rear window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, May 15, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

The k5 I just bought doesn't have the switch to raise and lower the rear window, I'm gonna run to the junk yard and pick one up. Does anyone know how I hook the switch up? As far as I know the original wires are not present. It's an '86.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I fear what has been done to that truck that it's missing the interior switch...

anyway, there are four wires on the tailgate, two big ones and two smaller (gauge) ones.

The two big ones are battery power, all the time, for the switch in the tailgate to raise and lower the window. Don't remember polarity, bloody GM using light blue as a ground and such ;-)

The two littles ones are both positive, and one runs the window up and one runs it down.

You'd presumably use a single-pole two-position switch ("Up" and "Down", duh ;-); run 12 volts to the middle, and each end to these two wires in the tailgate. Pushing the switch up runs power to the one side, pushing the switch down runs power to the other.

HTH.

-- A

'74 K5 Blazer "Tank Grrl"
    '77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Your right, they removed the switch. Why...who knows. But thanks for the help.