Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

powerlock vs. a detroit in a 60?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990K5, Dec 23, 2001.

1. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

ive seen a lot of people on here running powerlocks in their 60's but i just wondered how well they "hook-up" vs. a detroit, i will be in snow/ice sometime but i understand that a 60 is strong enough to just lock 1 hub in and not break anything if you use common sense, thus keeping you in somewhat of a straight line in an icy road. is this true?

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

I am thinking the detroit might work better then a powerlok in the snow.
    are you talking front or rear?
    i have a detroit in the rear and power lok in the front
    the detroit doesnt require any force to unlock a tire in a corner
    the powerlok will stay locked until enough diferential force exists between the axles to overcome the clutches
    this has you feeding in steering long before the corner, some times turning the wheel 90deg before the clutches let go,
    then you have to quickly back your steering input to what is actually required to negotiate the turn.
    definitely not something you can let your mother drive.
    the unlock one hub thing is a myth, doesnt work for me.
    others tales may differ as I have never run snow tires just the 16" wide swampers in various stages of wear.

3. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

ya and we all know worn super swampers are the next best thing to studded snow on the ice!!!