Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Powersteering Pump??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jan 22, 2005.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

well I have a little story before I ask the question
    This past weekend we had sled pulls in our town... I wasent planning on pulling until I got there, but all my friends were doing it so I did too (no mom if all my friends jumped off the skyway bridge I wouldn't too) so anyways since I all terrians and last time I tried to pull I couldn't get any traction I decided I would try to pull in High gear ... well It dident work to good I couldent get the motor to turn up so my second pull I held it hard in first gear brought the motor up right to 7000RPM then droped it to 5000 and held it then took it back up to 7000 and held it a little there anyways I NEVER hold my motor open like this I always either shift or get off it. So like 2 days after the pull I noticed I was leaking coolant looks like I gotta bad hose easy fix but then yesterday I was pullen into the gas station and and it got not only hard to steer but the wheel was like bouncing back. Dose thats sound like a bad powersteering pump?
    BTW I figured since my powersteering pump and water pump are both belt driven a long time a 5000 and 7000 could have put a hurting on them and made these problems... and before anyone says YOU HELD A STOCK 350 AT 7000RPM AND DIDENT PICK UP PIECES? no my motor isent exactly STOCK

Sorry for the long post

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Have you looked under the hood yet?

Check the belt condition. Check the pump for fluid level. Any strange noises, squeals?

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I did check the level its a little low so I was gonna add some(but I dont think its low enough to cause the problem) I did hear a strange noise what I belive is comming from it thats like a hollow knock speradically some times it will do it twice or 3 times real quick.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Well if your pump is failing your going to know it. Your fingertip steering will become a two arm effort.

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Any chance you might have broke a hub and it's locking the axles in?
    You might jack it up and spin some wheels.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

It dosent seem like that... but ill check that today Ive driven stuff with out powersteering and it dosent feel like that the wheel just like jumps back and it gets some what hard to turn Im not really sure how to explain it and it dosent do it everytime

7. g_mo

g_mo 1/2 ton status

i had ann 84 c10 that did the same thing to me when p.s fluid was low. might wanna add some fluid.

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Is the steering fluid foaming?