Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

powerstroke in 72 gm truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rancid, Nov 22, 2006.

1. rancid

rancid 1/2 ton status

anybod put a powerstroke in a 67-72 gm, im going to install the motor, trans, transfercase and front axle in the 72 chevy longbed. any info would help. its all coming out of a 97 f350

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Won't the transfercase drop on the wrong side?

3. black sheep

black sheep Registered Member

hense the FRONT AXLE,read further.....sounds like a great plan man,keep us posted

4. black sheep

I've got a 427 in the back of my 71 so anything can be done!!

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Easy enough to miss buddy, no need to get sharp with anyone.

And as mentioned, anything can be bolted up with enough time money and fabrication skills. I'd be watching for firewall and frame clearance issues. Might have to do a body lift to give yourself more room.

Is the diff a leaf sprung diff?

6. rancid

rancid 1/2 ton status

yep, its leaf sprung. its a stock f350 4x4 axle.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

get a front axle fro a 78-79 ford f250 snow package or 350 and it will bolt right in. The spring spacing on the new one is 3.5" wider

8. black sheep

just jokn man didnt mean to offend anyone

9. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

The T-Case won't fit between the frame rails. Go back and read the Ultimate K10 build in 4-WOR. They tried but went with a doubler.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Not necessarily true. They were using a case out of a Super Duty(99+ F250/350) in their rig, and that Tcase is MASSIVE... I can go take some measurements of the tcase that will be in the 97 Ford if you want? I know the one in my 91 F350 is a Borg Warner. I think they used Borg Warners up until 99 when they went to New Ventures. But I don't know Fords that well so I could be wrong. You would probably be better off just getting a NP205. Ford is good about output shafts and adapters. Meaning you should be able to bolt up a old NP205 out of a Ford to that trans and tcase adapter no problem.

11. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

I don't know what he has but I have a 96' and a 97' 4wd auto Powerstroke in my fleet and both of their cases are massive in size.

12. rancid

rancid 1/2 ton status

well i measured the ford t-case and its 23" wide and the 72 frame is 29" wide i.d. and the ford frame is 33" wide i.d. and the ford case mounts from the bottom, where the 205 in my 72 mounts from the side. that should save some space. it will fit between my 72 rails. i think im more worried about the stroke fitting between the frame.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

are you measuring from trans centerline to inside of framerail? If the case is 23" wide, and say 19" of that is to the left of the centerline... Frame is 29" wide, that means only 14.5" from trans centerline(assuming it is centered in the frame, which they often aren't). In other words, it won't fit... Of course by my math the centerline to framerail measurement of the Ford is 16.5" so how the case fits there, don't know. Oh and your 205 doesn't side mount, it has an auxillary side mount, the main mount is still the adapter between the transmission and transfer case.

14. rancid

rancid 1/2 ton status

i have about 3" on the driver side and about 8" on passenger side and this is all off the ford frame. so i might have to clearance the frame, but i dont think so. i am going to box and reinforce the 72 frame so i will mod it to fit. this damn ford engine, auto trans transfercase and axle will go into this truck. and i think i may use one or both the fuel tanks from thie ford.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am all for the engine and trans swap, just think you would be better off with a Ford 205 behind it all. Its a stronger case anyway, you are already used to the shifting characteristics of one.

Modding the frame to fit is an easier said than done situation. Youd have to design a frame kickout to avoid the transfer case. Easier said than done, and then you run into front driveshaft clearance issues.

16. rancid

rancid 1/2 ton status

i will get the motor out this weekend and drop it on the 72 frame, there is no cab, bed or front clip. so i t will give me a better idea what im dealing with. it may not fit when i sit it in there. but i guess thats my next step. i still may consider a ford 205 if it will bolt up to my ford auto. all this is coming out of a 97 f350.

17. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

theres a reason that SD frame is so wide...

18. rancid

rancid 1/2 ton status

its not a superduty, its a 97 before they where superduty. and my chevy frame is only 3-4" less than the f-350.

19. rancid

rancid 1/2 ton status

im going to take the whole harness from the ford, but how do i know what to use on the 72.

20. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

thats a good question, keep the entire harness, plug and play, you will probably need the gauge cluster as well, sounds like a complicated swap to me... keep us posted