Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Powertanks aka CO2 tanks **PICS Pg. 3**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Oct 9, 2006.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Jus curious where you guys are mounting your tanks and what size do you have.

I can get a 10lb basic setup for $220

or step up to a 15lb one for $249, comes with regulator, coiled air hose and mounting brackets.

I dont have roll bar or cages, so not sure where to mount it at. Ive already got the back left section where the rear speaker area is used up with a 5 gal. water can mount. I was thinking maybe angled on the wheel well right beside the backseat? or directly behind the seat belt mechanism.

Any ideas or pics.

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

seems to me that for $29 more you get 50% more capacity and all the stuff you need to make it work.

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Definetely. In my Burb, RR wheel hump on the horizontal flat. It works perfect, clears the back seat latch, open the windows and reach all four tires without moving the tank. Also used it to fill the air mattress, until I broke the mattress while it was frozen.:haha: CO2 can also be used as a fire extinguisher.

4. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I was under the impression the tank had to VErtical to work properly. LIke Nitrous bottles need a specific angle to be most effective. Jus wondering.

Any pics of your tank and setup? If you do, can you imbed them, Im not paying member, so I cant see em. I need to become one soon, im missing out. lol.

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Pic tomorrow if someone else doesn't get it first. My tank isn't in the cradle right now, and I've already stopped wrenching for the evening. All I can think of re; vertical vs horizontal is NOx is fuel with who knows what freeze temp. etc. CO2 is like anti-fuel. The reg. and hose and couplings frost when I'm filling tires, but it hasn't corked yet. I don't have a bling gauge. You just weigh the tank to check how much is left.

6. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Cool look forward to seeing your setup. the kit im getting doesnt have gauge on it, I talked to the 4x4 shop and he says the regulator is setup 150psi and I dont need the gauge or fancy carry handle, etc. So im getting basic kit.

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I got mine off of E-bay. The brand is "The Source". It came with a handle like a crown around the neck of the bottle. Mine is a 14.5 lbs. empty aluminum tank that holds 10 lbs. CO2. The handle is worth getting, especially if you're mounting it horizontal.:D
    Aw s... Give me a few minutes.

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Badmix, I thought you were a member! Send an E-mail eat@brentz.org
    I'll post the pic here anyway.

PA090513.JPG

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

For the record, NOx isn't fuel, it's oxidizer. You get both a source of oxygen and you get a refridgeration effect from spraying it into the intake. (Liquid to gas Endothermic phase transition blah, blah, blah...)

CO2 is mostly a liquid under the bottle pressure. As long as the port out of the bottle is above the liquid level you'll get gas. Turn the bottle upside down and you'll for sure get liquid. Same is true of propane tanks.

10. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Where in the hell did you find it for 220?

11. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Yep! So ideally you would have it upright. A handle is real nice if you think you will be lugging it around. Also most handles protect the valve, which you definitely want to do!

Guages are only good to a point with CO2. The bottle pressure remains constant (liquid vapourizes to gas in the bottle) until you are nearly empty, so it doesn't give you a decent idea of what is left. Like mentioned, weighing the bottle is the only real method. The output pressure guage is good to have, unless you have an automatic (spring) valve.

And make sure that baby is tied down tight! If the valve was to break off or be broken off by something else flying around in the truck, not only could it cause frost bite, it can displace the air in the truck nearly instantly. Ie suffocate, or kill!

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

+
    Just to further emphathize this, it's that important. People don't seem to treat compressed gases & their containers with the respect they deserve.

13. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

forget displacing the air. you knock the valve off and you got yourself a rocket. Getting knocked out by a flying CO2 tank is a pretty dumb injury.

14. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Good points. I plan to use the big ass mounting bracket that comes with the tanks and itll be bolted down with some grade 8 bolts with steel backing. Even the low budget ones come with a handle and valve protector, its jus not all fancy like the high dollar ones.

15. gaspass

gaspass 1/2 ton status

Installation article

There is a great article on Planet4x4.net about this subject. You may want to check it out.

16. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Welp, I picked up the tank and bracket and hose. No gauges which is fine. Honestly I found the perfect spot to mount it. Jus like I figured, it fits perfectly jus beside the lower seat belt mechanism. There is enuff metal to bolt it to the SIDE and plenty of room to bolt it at the BOTTOM. I figure 4 bolts on the bottom with some steel backing plate and 2-4 bolts on the back with some fender washers as backing or steel. I dont expect it to go anywhere, and itll be easy to grab and its centered on the truck basically, so filling the tires should be easy enuff. jus run hose out either door, may not have to remove tank at all. Plus there is room to add bigger tanks if need be.

Pics hopefuly tomorrow once I get it all bolted in, etc. :D

17. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yeah, if you got the advertised "20 ft" coil hose, you should be able to reach all four with the tank in place. That feature alone is trick.:D

18. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

20. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Welp got the tank all mounted up. Jus dropped it off to get filled. This was an interesting lesson. Not very many places fill these tanks. I was surprised. Not any and all welding shops will do it. I found one place that does it. They can quick fill a 10lb bottle at the store and you will get maybe 8lbs in it. or they send it away to the next town over and they fill er full. Cost is about 15bux. I opt for the 10lb bottle for now, jus for ease of finding mounting locals. But the spot ive got it all mounted to will fit ANY size bottle. Mounting went easy and plenty of access for bolt/nuts and support. Pics Soon............