Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Powertrax Locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1985K20, Jan 13, 2005.

1. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

just wandering is a powertrax lock-right locker a good investment for a 14 bolt rear end:confused:

2. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

investment to me means lasting over the long run. in this case i would say no because the full detroits are so cheap for the 14 bolts, provided it is a full floater. buy a detroit and never worry about your rear end again, they're tried and true for more than 40 years. 350 for a new one, i paid 200 for a used one. either way, you can't go wrong w/ a detroit. don't buy the lok rite based on 'investment'. if you were asking based on budget there might be room for discussion. investment there is no question, buy a detroit:D

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Altho i have lockrites and like them i have to agree with Reeser. Lockrites are a good budget upgrade but they are not near as strong as a detroit locker. I think lockrites are one of the best upgrades to do to a 10 bolt. But if I were to "invest" in a 14 bolt I would put in a Detroit.

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

how exactly are lock-rights and detroits different for the 14 bolt?
    they are both "lunch box" lockers in this application.
    :ears:

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

:what: :what: What???? Detroit Lockers are not lunchbox lockers. The are a full locker that replaces the whole carrier assembly. In stead of replacing the spyder gears like a Lockrite and other lunchbox lockers do. Detroits are way stronger..Detroit lockers are about the strongest lockers made.
    The only thing you can be thinking of is the Detroit EZ lock which is a lunchbox locker. But as far as I know they dont make them for 14 bolts. They only make then for the mighty 10 and 12 bolt diffs. They also break easily.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  6. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

All real lockers, Lock-Rites and Detroits included, use the stock carrier in a 14ff. So they are "lunchbox lockers" in this application. Replace the spider and side gears only.

7. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Powertrax

I run a Powertrax No-Slip in my rear 10-bolt and I've been happy with it. A full detroit would have been nice, but the No-slip costs $250 less and I only run 33's. I been beating the snot out of it for 2 years and haven't broke it yet.

The No-Slip is also stronger than the origional Lock-Rite and the Detroit EZ locker.

The No-Slip is also much smoother on the pavenment than most other lockers if you need to run your truck as a DD.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

OOps yur right! I forgot Detroits use the stock carrier in 14 bolt FFs. I guess I was thinking about C clip axles. I still have a hard time thinking of a Detroit Locker as a lunchbox locker tho. Because they are cheap for 14FF, I still would pick a Detroit over a Lockritre.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Agreed.

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

but doesn't the lockrite act better on the tar? kinda like ackrite? :haha:

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have heard less complaints about the detroit (actually very few) vs. the lock-rite, but that is because the complaints I heard were from people using them in 10 and 12 bolt axles. Both seem to have the same characteristics as far as locking, unlocking, and driveline slack. I have driven with both and don't notice much difference. I decided to go with the Lock-rite in my 14FF because of funding when I did it (was hoping for the detroit but couldn't afford the price back then). I have been pounding it with a heavy right foot, towing, and truck pulling and there have been NO complaints.***

Note***: I am only running 35" tires max right now, so that may be a factor on why it hasn't broke.

12. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

thanx for your comments, i appreciate. 1985K20.:)