Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Powertrax locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheAustrian, Nov 21, 2006.

1. TheAustrian

TheAustrian 1/2 ton status

What do you say about Powertrax Lock-Right locker? Does this really work and how? Anyone can tell from experience? I cannot quite imagine how as there are no bevel gears inside, just notched plates and a lot of small coil springs. And compared to other lockings, Powertrax locker it is rather cheap.

2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I use one in my 14BFF. Works fine so far. I believe the powertrax site has a good technical explanation on how they work.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The way it works is the carrier turns with the ring gear , the center pin/crosshaft turns with it , as it turns , it wedges into the couplers , pushing them into the side gears and allowing them to turn too . Locking it totaly up solid .

When you let up off the accelerator , you release the tension , and it can differentiate .Also around faster corners at steady throttle , it will let the gears overrun to allow differential for the differnt wheel speeds .

They are really easy to live with in an automatic transmission equipped truck , as the driveshaft is always under a load in gear ( just slowed or held by the brakes of the vehicle ) .

In a standard transmission vehicle , the will be harsher , making bangs and pops more often .

I run a Powertrax Lockright front and rear , the rear for a long time driving my truck daily . I love it :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  4. TheAustrian

so recommendabel for on and off road? If so, I may order powertrax lock right both for front and rear together with the new diff gears. Would be one step to change all together at once.

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use it in a 12blt rear. Don't put them in the front if you have full time and drive on the street, it may get a bit scary!
    I've got used to driving mine on the street without attracting too much attention but it certainly wears out tires faster, front and rear!
    They're cheap and real easy to fit, can't ask much more than that. Make sure you order their hardened pin as the stock ones wear fast.

6. southernspeed

I use it in a 12blt rear. Don't put them in the front if you have full time and drive on the street, it may get a bit scary!
    I've got used to driving mine on the street without attracting too much attention but it certainly wears out tires faster, front and rear!
    They're cheap and real easy to fit, can't ask much more than that. Make sure you order their hardened pin as the stock ones wear fast.

7. southernspeed

Hmmmm...am I seeing double here?

8. TheAustrian

I see it twice too...

I have full time 4WD and yes, most time I will drive on road. So better just to put one in the rear...would have been a nice and cheap solution for a 3-lock variant X-x-X. However, my overall milage will probably be less than 1300 miles a year.

9. southernspeed

Better to get a selectable locker for the front then or a part time kit for your 203 then you could put switchable hubs in front and the lockrite. But if you're driving in snow and ice you'd be better off with an open front axle anyway. I loved my 203 with open front and rear in the snow, very controllable and as you probebly use chains anyway I doubt you'd need more than the rear locked.
    I'm usually in Austria around Christmas and it always amazes me how everyone copes with the snow so well, over here the country grinds to a halt with a few inches of snow...apart from me ofcourse!!!

10. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

You didn't post if it's a standard or auto. Like pauly383 said earlier they are a bit of a nightmare it the rear diff if your running a standard on the street. I tried it and ended up buying a Detroit.

11. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Start with one in the rear and leave the front diff open for now or consider a Mile Marker part time kit for your transfer case as well. You don't have to go through gear set up again to install one. I run Lock-Rite's front and rear on my '71 K20 and like them. A front locker in snow and ice can be a challenge to handle. I would not recommend it for a full time 4wd vehicle. I have done some four wheeling in Germany and can understand why you would want a front locker if the terrain you plan on driving looks anything like Hohenfels, DE.

12. TheAustrian

Hey! Now i realise, you are from England :D

I'd never swap my good old NP203 against any other part time stuff. There's nothing like a real 4WD. :wink1: Basically you are right, lock the interaxle and rear diff is enough in general. I never got stuck with my KZJ95 Landcruiser this way. Even I beat him through real off road. However, my K5 shall go where my KZJ95 never will go...into the dirt and I do not want to get stuck (would be embarrassing) therefore I am thinking also of front locker. In some situations maybe a good to have.

Well, we are used to snow in general. But be sure, we have enough dumbass out here who are not able to handle their cars on icy or snowy roads. :doah:

13. TheAustrian

I have a '79 350 K5 with automatic transmission and np203 tc.

Well, if it is not recommendable, I do not want a lockright in front. I don't want have more troubles with the locker rather than without. I was just thinking...

@resurrected_jimmy

yes, possibly I might run on terrains such as Hohenfels, at last we have several gravel pits around here with similar difficulty grade.

14. TheAustrian

another question. If we compare the factory GM-locker in the 12-Bolt and Lockright, what is better?

15. southernspeed

Where abouts in Austria are you? I only really know the Salzburg region but always fly to Munich then drive through to Salzburg. Beautiful country and great people, oh and the food....I put on weight every time I'm there! There's nothing quite like walking around the Christmas markets in the snow drinking Gluvine and trying all those weird sausages you guys eat!:D

16. TheAustrian

I am from lower Austria, southern of Vienna. Fortunately far enough away from that city ;) I hate larg cities...:mad:

In fact we do not have as long as as much snow as Salzburg usually have, but enough to have chaos everywhere when it really begins to heavy snow. Yes, food is brilliant here, but I also love english breakfast :D surprisingly I am one of a few...
    Weird sausages...:haha:

17. southernspeed

Yeah I went to Vienna for a week. It was interesting but too busy for me too!
    Yeah....white sausages!!:confused: Tasted good though!:D

18. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

lock-rite is better hands down, no question about it

19. TheAustrian

white sausages - you mean Weisswürste? This is Bavarian speciality. I don't like that stuff, although I never tried one, they look too weird to me. Did you ever try a "Plunze"? This is typical Austrian. Made of blood...yummy [​IMG]

20. TheAustrian

thanks