Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Powertrax Locker...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Jun 26, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Today, I went and bassically used my locker hard-core for the first time. I was playing in the sand etc. And did ALOT of forward-reverse rocking in 2wd when i would get stuck, etc. Anyway now on the street my locker seems to click alot more! Anyone know if i could have broken something? Is it normal? What could be wrong? etc? Thanks! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I assume you are talking about a Lockright in your rear 10 bolt. I think that you basically "broke it in". I have a lockright in my D60 front and I broke a hub without hurting it. It's always best to pull the diff cover and inspect it if there is any doubt, but if it is still funtioning correctly, you should be just fine.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Do you know what i would be looking for if I did pull off the cover to inspect it?

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You would look for anything that does not look exactly like what it looked like when you (?) installed it. This included broken/sheared teeth, cracks anywhere, or a broken cross pin. If there is ANY metal in the gear dope, it's a cause for alarm.

5. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I had a lock right in my 12 bolt in my 87, and the thing clicked really loud. always worked though, till the day the truck died. If you don't hear any grinding, and the diff isn't locking up, I doubt there's anything wrong.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Mine clicks a lot going around corners. If it wasn't clicking I would start worrying. As long as it doesn't make noise when going in a straight line it should be ok.
    If I run 140 wt gear oil in the summer it is quieter.

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

You basically wore it in, my detroit locker is a little louder than my buddies powertrax. As long as the fluid is changed it should be good for the life of the truck. If you are worried just check for metal shavings in the fluid, a few should be okay, if you find chunks then you have a problem.

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Coming out of a corner going straight it will click somtiems once sometimes periodically like 3 times... and the clicks - some are quiet some are loud and some jerk... is all that normal? LOl thanks

9. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a locker to me, to reduce the bangs and noise just cruise through the corners with light throttle, the more torque applied the harder these things lock and the louder the bangs and strange driving traits.

10. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

might want to check tire pressure. if they are different the tires will be different sizes, so they will be different riad.