Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Powertrax no slip traction system

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Feb 14, 2001.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Has anyone installed one? Is it really as smooth as a posi on the street? It says it transfers the power to the side that has traction. If you floor it on the street from a stoplight, does it work like a locker or an open diff? I basically want something that will act like a posi on the street, that is where 99% of my driving is.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 90K5 on 02/14/01 05:58 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

My buddy just put one in his street/strip Camaro. I guess how they work is they are unlocked as long as you are off the gas, but hit the gas much at all and it locks. My buddy was less then thrilled because he does about 50% driving on the street. He does say it is a lot smoother then a locker though. But I figure I'm going to go w/ Auburn's new posi most likely because like you most of my driving is on the street.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

3. RUT_RO

RUT_RO Registered Member

Helped a friend install one in his late model chevy Z71 pickup. Install took about an hour and was very easy
    The unit works very simular to a locker in that the wheels are locked all the time until a rotational speed
    difference between wheels occurs (turning) the unit then unlocks and steps (a slight clicking can be heard)
    and if turning right and the rear end is lightly loaded the inside tire will chirp. You do not get the loud clunk
    when the unit rengages like the detroit locker and the operation is much smoother. So far after about 500 miles the operation has gotten very smooth and have had no problems.

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey 90. Do a search on the no-slip here in the forum. I posted about 4 messages a few weeks ago about it. I included a mess of articles and sources.

I am getting one in the next few weeks. Just waiting to hear back whether the unit that inserts into the gov-lock carrier is done yet. Otherwise, I have to find an open carrier.

It seems like the reverse of a posi. It is locked until it decides it needs to unlock. Just opposite of the posi.

<font color=blue>"It's just a differentialator....Totally unnecessary" [​IMG]</font color=blue>

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    FYI, Buyer be ware the Auburn is not rebuildable, when it wears out, throw it out, and it will wear out.
    Good luck

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I lookde at the applications yesterday, and there are a lot. I didn't look too closely at the 10 bolts, this will be going in a 14 bolt SF, but for it they don't have one for the gov-lock carrier yet, but they will soon.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>