Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Powertrax no-slip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr GearHead, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Mr GearHead

Mr GearHead Registered Member

Has any one used this locker? I think it is kind of new. How well did it work?

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have the lock-rite($250) from the same company which has worked great for me and it is very cheap and easy to install. I have not heard anything bad about the new model you are talking about, the only problem is that it's kind of expensive($380), you can almost get a Detroit Locker for that price which is much stronger. The No-Slip is supposed to be smoother on the street so if you don't like the clicking noises from a regular locker this might be good for you.

3. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

I run them front and rear.D60/D70 w/5.86s.They seem to work very well.On the street you cant even tell there their.Offroad I spend most of my time in the rocks and they have taken me everywhere Ive wanted to go.I wil say There was one instance were the front wouldnt lock on one side.Check this out under Chevy products. chevyproductsThat instance I was talking about.
    P.S. I have an ARB sitting in my garage for the front of my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I have one in the front and it pops out when I turn unless I give it gas. It is quiet when locked or unlocked not going from one to the other. Forget driving in the snow. The front will slip when it unlocks. If it unlocked when you give it gas it will pop locked. You can fill it and also hear it. Tonight was the first time I used the powertrax. Not very happy with it. But it is easy to install. As soon as I get up the money I am getting an eaton for the front. I have one for the rear and love it. Very good traction.

5. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

The powertrax has quieted down a bit, but you can still hear it, not has bad though. It just seems like one of the hubs broke due to the banging. I hope not.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

TTT anyone else have opinions on this automatic locker?

7. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i had a Powertrax Lockrite in the rear of my dodge 1/2 ton with 36" tsl radials, i [darn] the bed this past January.
    one of the stupidist designs i have ever seen. 4 metal pins, about the size of a pencil eraser, and thats supposed to hold up to a 3 ton truck.
    to me not worth the cardboard it was packaged in.

8. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

Ive been running one in my 75k5 with 35's for about 2 years now without any problems. Its survived 2 trips to Hot Springs running 3 and 4 diamond trails, countless trips out to gilmer and a couple trips to Clayton, Ok.
    I pulled it out just before the last trip to hot springs and it still looks new.

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ive been running one in my 75k5 with 35's for about 2 years now without any problems. Its survived 2 trips to Hot Springs running 3 and 4 diamond trails, countless trips out to gilmer and a couple trips to Clayton, Ok.
    I pulled it out just before the last trip to hot springs and it still looks new.

[/ QUOTE ]

you run it front or rear? any noticeable difference on streets? if it failed would you replace it with another of the same kind? thanks

10. sluggo45acp

Its in the rear. On the street its real easy to forget its back there. Yep if it failed id put in another one.

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Those little pins don't really have any stress on them, they are just there to allow the center pieces to slide on and engage with the side gears and lock them up.........

12. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks for the info... it looks like that's what i'll be getting. by the way, what size tires do you have?

13. dodgedude99

[ QUOTE ]
    Those little pins don't really have any stress on them, they are just there to allow the center pieces to slide on and engage with the side gears and lock them up.........

[/ QUOTE ]

if they didnt have stress on them, then they wouldnt of sheared.
    they are what pushes the inside gear to the gear thats on the axle shaft. which means in does have stress on it.

14. sluggo45acp

Im running 35x12.50 BFG/MT ive had the 35's on for about a year and ran 33's before that.

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Been running a Lockrite in the rear(10 bolts with 33"MTs) for over 3 years now with no problems. I beat my truck pretty good and tow a lot.
    Had the cover off last month and it still looked to be in great condition and showed no abnormal wear. I have also used them in a Bronco and installed them in a few friends trucks/jeeps with no problems
    Lockrites are a lot better than the Detroit Ez-lock.
    Using 85-140 weight keeps them quieter and they seem to operate smoother.
    When you install them check the clearances as said in manual. They are are critical. Too much clearance and the locker will break in a short time. If your thrust washers or pinion pin are wore it is best to put in new ones when you install the locker.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

*edited due to low brain function*

17. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

I've been running one in my 11.3 second chevelle for 2 years now with no problems. And that is in a 8.2 chevy 10 bolt with 4.56 gears.This isnt just track time either.I do alot of street cruising . In the begining it was noisy but quieted down after the 1st 100 miles. Very pleased with the performance and the strength. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You remove your thrust washers when you install a lunchbox locker. Center pin, yes, make sure it's good. Thrust washers you take out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you remove the thrust washers when installing a Lockrite. I surly hope you put them back in. If not the locker will go Boom! In a short time. And it wont be covered under waranty.
    Lockrites for any Blazer, 1/2 ton,10 bolt, 12 bolt, Dana/Spicer44, Dana/spicer35, Ford 8.8, Jeep, ect ect ect. All require thrust washers to operate correctly. DO NOT LEAVE THEM OUT!

Page 3 from Lockrite instruction manual:
    A word about <font color="red">Thrust Washers</font>
    All differentials originally had a <font color="red">Thrust Washer</font> under each side gear. <font color="red">Thrust washers</font> are large in diameter and between 1/32" and 1/16" thick. If one or both are missing from the orginal differential, obtain new ones before proceeding!!
    The LOCKRITE is designed to be used with a correct <font color="red">Thrust washer</font> under each coupler, failure to use these washers is easy to observe during inspection and will void warranty.
    If you dont believe me or need more info Call1-800-LOCKRITE They will set you straight.

I just wanted to clear that up before somone screwed up their rear end /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. dodgedude99

grant it, its a dodge, but the 9 1/4" axle powertrax doesnt use the thrust washers.
    being that it couldnt because the thrust washer are cone shape to match the contour of the spider gear.

20. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I ended up breaking the portrax locker the second time I put it in 4 wheel. Has been out eversince. I don't recommend it. One of the small tabs broke off. I has 3 wheel drive. Maybe my done fall was buying it at a swap meet. It looked and smelled new. I could smell the oil that usually is with new metal. Gear lube is kind of hard to get rid of the smell due to all the nicks and crannies. Any cleaner or solvents would be easy to smell. I still would rather have a diff that could be rebuilt any way.