Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

powr lock up front?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by atho, Feb 18, 2005.

1. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

hey guys, I know where I can get a D60 rearend for free, from a Ford, that has a powr-lock posi. its a FF 60 w/ 30 spline shafts, and 4.56 gears.

my question is, does anyone here run one of these up front? if so, how do you like it?

I did a little bit of digging and found a conversion kit from spicer, pn# 707074x, that is pretty much an entire 35 spline powerlock minus the carrier. it would let me run this posi up front in my D60. around $200 was the cost I found for that, and i'd have basically a new unit...it sure would be cheaper than a complete new powr lock, or a new detroit, and definitely an arb.

thanks in advance

2. jrpeebles

jrpeebles Registered Member

I run a Powr Lok in my front Dana 60 and love it.I have never spun one tire free with it.Just make sure that you safety tie the case bolts, as that diff was made to spin the opposite direction of a front end application.Do not just Locktite the bolts - eventually they will work loose.The clutch pack can also be modified to prevent slippage.:) :) :)

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info, I hadn't even thought about that. :D
    thanks!

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have one I plan on using in my 60 when I get around to putting my junk together. I agree about the clutch pack mods, TARussell studied that for a while.

Did you drill your bolts for the wire ties or did you find something predrilled off the shelf that worked?

5. jrpeebles

jrpeebles Registered Member

My friend has a home based shop.I believe that he drills the bolts - not off the shelf.:)