Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Practice makes perfect

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by littlejimmythatcould, Apr 29, 2006.

1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I finally fired up my new welder last night (at 0300) and practiced a bit. I got some hands on at the metals tech (machine shop) welding room earlier this week. One of my buddies there showed me a little bit on the arc welder there. I took some scrap 1/4 inch pieces home and tried mine out. I does pretty good, but if you turn it up it just eats away at the metal and then I'll have a big hole instead of a weld. I practiced laying out beads and a butt joint with different settings. I only have to turn it up about half way to get penetration through 1/4 inch it just takes a lot of rods. I can't believe how many rods I went through. I'm practicing as much as a can and I'm already thinking about what my first project will be... I sure do appreciate y'alls help with and advice on welding thanks a lot.:bow: Here's some pics. (my wife made me pose for them for her scrap book)
    P.S. Someday I hope to be good enough to weld with one hand and drink a beer with the other, that's just a small personal goal.:D

4-25 002.jpg

4-25 004.jpg

4-25 005.jpg

4-25 008.jpg

4-25 006.jpg

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You should try some 7014 1/8" rod. It runs pretty decently, and is great to learn on. They also re-light real easy unlike some other rods like 7018.

7024 is also a really nice rod, but only for flat position. They add a bit of iron powder to the flux which makes the bead a little larger, flatter and smoother.

As for the one handed deal, pretty much nobody i know that is any good at welding does it with one hand. God gave you two hands, don't feel bad using both to stay as steady as possible.

I'd aim for the 120 amp range for most 1/8" rods...it's a good ballpark heat to fine tune from.

Rene

3. littlejimmythatcould

I've been using 6011 rod. I got a bunch of rods with my welder. I'll look through them and see if I have any other kind of rods. I've got 1/8 inch rods and then I've got some big fat 6011 rods. They're seem like 1/4 inch rods. Yeah, I would like to learn about other rods. One things for sure, those rods go quick once you get started welding.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::D

5. littlejimmythatcould

I do have some 7014 rods, I'll give them a try. Yeah, I hate it when the rods don't like to re light and get stuck to the metal. On one of my pieces you can see the rods still stuck to them. I paniced and didn't know what to do and the rod started glowing red and I started hitting it with the slag hammer (throwing sparks everywhere) trying to get it off of the metal then I finally unhooked the stinger end and it stopped. THAT was an experience!

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My hands aren't nearly as steady as they were 30 years ago. :rolleyes: I usually place my left hand on the work piece, then lay my right hand across it, welding torch in that hand. I use my left hand as a brace to steady the welding hand. :cool1:

7. littlejimmythatcould

I don't have the best set up for welding, just my jack stands. I rest my forearms on my knees but when the rod gets down to the last 3rd or so I have to kinda free hand it.

8. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Did you get your rod stuck ;) and get scared cuz it started to turn red LOL. I did that my first time as well.

Also, try some 6013 rod. It lays a real nice bead. I wouldnt use it for thicker metals though.

9. littlejimmythatcould

Yeah, I was pretty freaked out. Thought I was gonna get blown up... or something. Now I know to just disconnect the stinger end and then take it off.

10. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

6011 is one of the hardest rods to run, especially in vertical welds. it is mostly used for repairs on rusty or painted surfaces. you should use an oscillating technique when running 6011 or 6010. all other rods you can get away with using a dragging technique. on any new project where you are using some nice new steel, it would be best not to use that 6011 rod you're using and use a 7018 instead. the 7018 gets good penetration and is much easier to run than the 6011. the only time i would choose to run a 6011 rod would be if i was repairing part of my frame or my suspension. i am a certified welder in los angeles county so i promise i didn't make any of this **** up. by the way, you're welds didn't look bad, just keep on practicing and try some different rods.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

7018 does run decently, if you're using 3 phase power or run it on DC. AC single phase is a nightmare with that rod though...

Rene

12. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt say 6011 is hard to RUN, BUT more of a Harder to look nice rod. It'll burn anything in its path, just do a ugly arse job of it lol.

13. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

You're doing great,keep practicing. IMO 6013 is probably the easiest rod to use with a buzz box,they don't call it handy-man rod for nothing...:D

14. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

6011's in AC are great for dirty jobs, pretty much self cleaning. Used a few last weekend to repair the bushhog in the field