Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pre 87 'intake on post 87' heads??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 3car, Sep 10, 2003.

1. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

pre 87 \'intake on post 87\' heads??

what is involved in drilling the center holes to go on the newer heads,and will it seal right?

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Re: pre 87 \'intake on post 87\' heads??

From what I remember, You just elongate the center holes by the exhaust crossover. Drill them more twards 90* of the crank's horiz centerline. Not directly at 90*. Never done it so I can't say for sure. The one I saw after the conv. sealed fine.

3. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

elong gate the center holes then get a nut that thw bolt will slide threw and grind it to match the angel of the intake so that the bolt can sit flat on it and give more holding power to the in take other wize you end up with jus one side of the bolt holding the intake down. I hace done this sevral times with TPI intakes you shouldnt have any problems if you do it that way . the other way is to weld the holes shut and redrill them and machine a flat surface for the bolt to set on but that way is time consuming and costs more to do.
    Earl

4. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

They make a special adapter for just that purpose. Once you elongate the two center holes on each side the adapter matches the angle of the head bolt hole.