Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pre-fabbed tabs for tube...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Dec 13, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Designing various parts for my truggy and it would be really handy to have a tab that was radiused to fit to 1.75" tube and was designed so that the top mounting surface would be level with the top of the tube it was welded too. Something like this...

[​IMG]

anyone make anything like this? I thought it would be handy for mounting the lid on my truggy... or boatside sheet steel... or whatever else you want to mount perpendicular to the tube. Made of 1/8" steel with a 3/8" hole preferably.

anyone make something like this?

j

2. Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker 1/2 ton status Vendor

Ok, I make Tabs and Brackets.......

However I don't make anything so light, although it is certainly strong enough for the purpose.

Try aaa-mfg.com they make the light stuff, it is stamped and made in the far east but they are cheap for the light stuff. those are called trick tabs.

Come to me for the serious stuff.....

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I just did a whole slew of that very piece!

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

With a slightly modified design, that part could be cut from a simple piece of rectagular box tube...... Hole saw to create the radius for the tube mount, and a bandsaw to cut the diagonal on the opposing side.

It's got to be cheaper to do it in 1-piece than to have someone cut three separate tabs and weld them together. :dunno:

5. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

At that point I would just hit up Dan (ruffstuff) to see what he has. To me its a lot of work to go through anything with a hole saw. Im way too impatient for that. Prob way I would rough it in with a torch and clean it up with a grinder. Id do the diagonal the same way.

6. Greg72

Patient enough to draw it in SolidWorks, but too impatient to use a hole saw??? You make me laugh.....

:haha: <- me laughing.

:usaflag:

7. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Hey it wasnt me who drew it in solidworks. I only draw stuff in that that I never make.

:haha: :haha: <- Me laughing with you.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

that ain't solid works, its a 2 minute 'sketch model' rendered in AutoCAD. ;)

It doesn't have to be 3 piece... could be laser/water/machined cut and folded from one piece. :) I used different colors on the sides than the top just so it'd be easy to tell what it was from a single picture. :thumb:

Looks like its DIY again!

These are overkill for roof mounting, but for boat-side stuff or anything else where a rock is gonna hit it, they'd be good to go. A simpler/lighter-duty alternative might be a similar tab that only had one "side" (red radius'd part) on it.

I didn't invent a new tab or anything here, just looking for a source. I was trying to think of a way to mount my roof (aluminum sheet, 0.090") on a halo and leave as little gap between the sheet and tube as possible (to reduce the chance of water coming in during water crossings, heavy rain etc). I checked some common 4x4 tab supplier peeps and didn't see much that allowed me to mount something flush with the top of the tube like I wanted.

j

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Kerts the man to talk to...:D

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

by the looks of the drawing, your mount surface is flush with the top of the tube, correct? Not to difficult to play with that height either.

11. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

x's 2, this is exactly what I thought of but I see Greg beat me to it.

12. Greg72

So you're saying that I'm thinking like a machinist now???.....I'm flattered.

:bow: