Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pre-FI ECm removal.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr.Chevy4x4, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Am I correct in saying that pre-87 ECM's were self-contained, meaning separate from the main wiring harness? It appears to be getting its power from the power supply going to the distributor. As long as I go to a pre-ecm distributor and carb I should be able to just cut out this wiring loom right? Anyone?

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 81 had the ESC distributor when I got it.There is a 'box' up under the dash for that. Is this the ECM you're referring to? If so I replaced my distributor with an earlier model and supplied 12 volts keyed hot to the distirbutor and just left the other plug disconnected.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

When I had my distributor rebuilt on my 85 they bypassed the ECM and turned it into a normal distributor. I don't know how they did it though.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.