Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pre-load, inch pounds on the pinion with carrier installed???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by alaskanbowtie, Mar 26, 2004.

1. alaskanbowtie

alaskanbowtie 1/2 ton status

ok, as it says, I have about 20-22 lbs preload with carrier installed on my rear 12 bolt. I was told by a gear place here in Alaska that the more preload on the carrier the better just break it in easy for the first 50 miles. So suggestions and comments please THX /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

What is your preload for the pinion only? I would imagine you would want a little more total preload.

3. alaskanbowtie

to spec is 15 to 19 on pinion only and I'm getting between 20 and 25 with this cheesy gauge so it could be as much as 25 but realistically it's about 22-23. But I dont know what to expect for this with carrier installed, I'm sure ALOT of people here know what the preload shold be with the carrier in. I mean alot of people here know how to set up gears and I'm just learning but want to make sure it's right!!
    Man I couldn't believe how much ft. lbs I had to use on the crush sleeve, 3/4" ratchet and cheater bar, thats crazy, finally I used a 3/4" impact. I felt like I was doing something wrong but the paper I had said it would take 300 to 400 ft. lbs torque to crush the sleeve. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Must be a pretty weak 3/4" impact if all it gives is 400 ft lbs. My 1/2" gun is twice that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That said, at least I know I won't have any problems if I do decide to change out my crush sleeve in my 14 bolt.

5. alaskanbowtie

yeah yeah my snap-on 1/2" is rated at over 600 and wouldn't do it, that was the point /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!! The 3/4 is much more but because I used it, doesn't mean it wasn't capable. you should read the VERY last sentence on this post, signature or what ever they call it, it "might" do you some good in the future!!! If you don't have anything objective to say on someone's post then don't say anything at all! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was actually trying to figure out if your 1/2" gun failed to do it or not as you made no mention of a 1/2" impact.

If a good (and yours is certainly good) 1/2" gun failed to crush it, I think that means that me trying to replace my crush sleeve would be a waste of time and effort.

Damn, why can't they all just use a spacer?

7. alaskanbowtie

actually is wasn't that bad once I figured it out and had someone to help hold back up for me, but be prepared to use alot more force than you would expect, it feels harsh! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If my gun won't crush that sleeve no way in hell i'm pulling out a breaker bar.