Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pre Runner Bumper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Aug 31, 2000.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, something I've decided I want to add to my rig is a prerunner light bar/bumper thing . I was wondering if anyone knows of any good ones, the only two I have found is one made by Pro Comp and one made by Smittybuilt. Does anyone know anything about either of these? Good or bad. I know this isn't going to give me any protection, it is mostly just to hold some fog lights and for looks. Also does anyone know where I can get some pictures of these on regular cars, not desert racers. A K5 would be nice but I am willing to look at anything. Does anyone thing I will have any problems installing either the procomp one of the smittybuilt one, I am leaning towards the smittybuilt, but I am open to suggestions. Also ya'll think mounting 2 Hella 500 fog light will be good to put on there? Anyone know where I can buy the smittybuilt one or the Pro Comp one or any other one. Summit has both of them but I am looking for a few more places so I can compare prices, and Summit doesn't have some other things I want to buy at the same time so I can save a little on shipping. Thanks!

Dawson
    88K5

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have the Smittybilt pre-runner front bumper. The bumper was made to bolt on over your existing factory bumper. I removed my factory bumper and bolted the pre-runner directly onto my frame using the existing holes. I did have to drill two holes in the frame for the lower skid plate mounts. This bumper comes either with skid plate, or without. I bought mine from 4 Wheel Parts in Denver. I had it shipped home to Missouri for around $190 total without skidplate. These bumpers are not built to take an impact. I have hit trees and such while on trails and have not sustained any damage. They have two tabs for lights. They do not have a winch mount, but I installed a reciever in the front; to the frame of the truck to hold my Ramsey Quickmounted Winch. Here is a picture of my Smittybilt with Ramsey winch mounted. I can give you more closeup pics of the receiver hitch mounted if you want.

[​IMG]

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

1rst one

[​IMG]
    Diesel Power

4. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

2nd one

[​IMG]
    Diesel Power

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Someone has to know something!

Dawson
    88 K5

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hey Dawson,

About one year or two ago there was a 1 Ton Chevy P/u that had a custom Pre-Runner on it that was built by an exhaust shop in CA. I track down this shop and they said that they would build more and that they would be about $300 + Shipping. This bumper is put in place of the stock bumper and looks really nice.

This truck was also in the top 10 trucks of Petersens or something like that. It is blue and was in sand in the feature article and about a week or two after the photo shoot it was totalled in an accident. they talk about this in the article.

Start searchin through the mags man! I believe the exhaust shops owners name was Tim Morse or something like that.

The truck was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

8. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, $300 is a little too much for me though. I don't know who's rig that is, ask chevy4x4. Thanks again!

Dawson
    88 K5

9. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I remeber. It was in the june 97 issue. It was #5 in the top 10 trucks of 1997. Its an 85 chevy k30. It did get totalled when it rolled after some one cut him of in front of Freiburger's house. That pre runner bumper did look pretty cool. The owners name is (was) Harley Padilla.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status