Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Predator carbs....What do you think?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Feb 2, 2003.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Predator Carbs......Offroad version. Has anyone used one on a 4x4 and how do they do with angles having the one big throat design? I like they way they look. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

is there a website i can look at one?

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I was told that predator carbs don't have an idle circuit. This has to be added with other parts you can get from predator. That's what I was told.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Bigfoot used to run them...

5. twenty_below0

I'm not sure who makes the carb unless there an independent company. I think they make a street version with choke and idol circuit. P.A.W. sells them I guess I should call and ask the techs what they think. First hand experience is always the best though. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. twenty_below0

OK just talked with P.A.W. and they said they are designed for 4x4's. They make a street version with idle circuit and a rear mount kit for 4x4 use, the tech said they WILL NOT load up or flood on any angle, that's why BIG FOOT ran them. Sounds pretty cool but the cost is 459.95 with a 22.95 "BellCrank kit" . Sure would like to hear from a fellow K 5'er that has experience with one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I ran a Predator on a 454 for almost 5 years and I was very happy with it. I NEVER had it stumble while wheeling, in fact I used to joke that it would probably run upside down. You can expect, however, almost no gas mileage from it. I went from a Holley 750 getting around 12 mpg to the Predator with no other changes and my mileage dropped to around 4 mpg.

I used the "race" version on my truck without the idle circuit and it was fine. I have worked on one that had the idle circuit and I didn't notice any tuning or running characteristics different from the "race" version.

In the end I took it off because my motor simply outgrew the carb. Being a variable venturi design the Predator tends to be a little slow to feed the motor. It's cfm is determined by vaccum demand, therefore the motor has to need the fuel for it to give the fuel. After a cam change, I found it to be sluggish when compared to a larger Holley mechanical secondary carb.

It definitely had it's gives and takes but I don't regret using it at all.

8. twenty_below0

WOW, thanx for the info thats just what I was hoping for a real experience. I am disappointed to hear that the M.P.G. is so lame. I am still considering it but I need another daily driver first. THX /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif