Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

predator carbs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wheelin72, Aug 14, 2002.

1. wheelin72

wheelin72 Registered Member

What do you all think of predator carbs?
    I have a line on a few of them from some of my buddies who drag race. THis will be going on a mild 454.
    Any info would be great

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

everyone I know that has had them loves em, I would get one if the price was right

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I ran one for about 4 years on my truck and I loved it! I had the race version without the special idle circuit and never had any idling problems. It was not bothered by bouncing, shaking, off camber...anything! Mine was very finicky about dirt, it didn't even like the orange, chalky film that will build up inside a carb. About once a year I would have to pull the cover off and clean it with carb cleaner but other than that it was fine. With the Predator my gas mileage went WAY DOWN but it did make the motor sound a little nastier, I guess it just allowed it to breathe better.

For 4 wheeling it's a great carb, for a daily driver probably not.

4. wheelin72

maybe ill have to try it out.
    The only think is that my BB gives me bad enough gasmileage right now.
    What the idea behind the carbs?

5. nvrenuf

The carbs are a variable venturi design, this basically means that they flow anywhere from 390 - 930 cfm based on engine vacuum demand. It's like a really big, incredibly simple 1 barrel. There are vitually no parts to it, besides the linkage there are only like 4 moving parts. The off idle throttle response is incredible compared to an "out of the box" Holley. Like I said before though, REAL FINICKY about dirty gas!

They have a really tall fuel bowl so stumbling from fuel slosh is not a problem. The only big problems that I found was that no one has parts on the shelf for them and very few people know anything about them so tuning is kind of like playing go fish at first.

I ran mine on a decently built 454. I was getting about 12 mpg with a Holley vacuum secondary 750 carb, the Predator only got about 6 mpg. I got rid of mine simply because my motor outgrew the carb, it performs better with a mechanical secondary carb (the Predator can seem a little lazy above 4000 rpm for fast reving motors).

If you get one shoot me a note and I'll send you copies of tuning literature that I kept, really helpful info.

6. wheelin72

Could you feel a boost in performance?
    THe gas mileage really scares me.
    I thought since it uses a variable amount of gas that it would get better gas mileage?
    What causes such bad mileage?
    Thanks for all the info it seems like its a perfect carb except the mileage issue

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

There's a Class 8 that runs one. My father-in-law doesn't think much of it, and when they last raced, they had fun tuning it, but it can run.

By the way, I'm just down 198 east of you by about 20 miles.

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

The predator will run a LOT better out of the box than a holley or edelbrock, but once you tune the holley in, the holley will out perform the pred.
    A friend of mine was running dual predators on his race boat on top of a very well built 427 /forums/images/icons/cool.gif , felt like it almost pulled my arms out their sockets when I tried to ski behind it /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

9. wheelin72

sounds all good. the main things im looking for is off camber abilities.
    ILl see what prices i can get one for

10. nvrenuf

I don't know if you can feel a boost in power so much as greatly improved responsiveness. The Predator is much more crisp and throttle sensitive than most carbs, this may be the cause of the loss of mpg. With the motor felling crisper and friskier I think I was more inclined to play with it than just simply drive it to work. Also with it supplying by demand rather than throttle position, it may flow more at low rpm / part throttle situations than a standard carb that only gives you a certain amount of gas for a given throttle position.

If your looking for something that will perform with on off camber wheeling the Predator is a great choice, even some magazines have acknowledged that it is the next best thing to fuel injection.