Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Preferred setup for SQ: 3 10's vs. 2 12's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by FL84K5, Mar 26, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Preferred setup for SQ: 3 10\'s vs. 2 12\'s

Which would you guys pick for a SQ setup? I'm trying to decide between 2 12" Crystal CMP's or 3 10" Crystal CMP's. What amp would you choose to run either of these setups? How would you wire them? Are there any sites that explain different ways of wiring subs? Thanks. They will be in a sealed box.

2. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Preferred setup for SQ: 3 10\'s vs. 2 12\'s

FL84K5,

3 10's will have slightly more surface area than 2 12's....probably close enough that the difference is negligible. However, I would believe that the 10's would have a "faster" sound than the 12's, depending on the amp. The more mass you add to a speaker cone, the harder it is to accelerate and STOP accurately. That will be the "key" to your sound quality question.

The 10's will have less mass to move so they will follow the musical waveform more accurately (again assuming they have enough amplifier power to do so).

The most important part will be the box construction and insuring that the box is VERY rigid and strongly braced and sealed, so that all the "energy" you are creating is not wasted.

As far as amplifier power is concerned.....the opinion I've stated MANY times on this forum is that there is NO such thing as TOO much clean power for a speaker. I am running 200W to each of my 10" subs for my installation and that's plenty. More power just makes the sound more "effortless". Don't forget your stiffening caps too! Big amps need big amounts of INSTANT current, and your battery isn't going to cut it...... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have never run 3 10s, but I have run 2 10s (rockford Fosgate) with a 350 watt amp and 1 12s (pioneer) with a 600 watt amp, both in bandpass boxes. I liked the 2 10s for heavy metal over the 12s, the 12s couldnt keep up to the constant double bass as much as the 10s could, but I likes the 2 12s more for everything else. My buddy is running 3 Diamond Audio 15s with a 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate amp, and I hits hard and sounds clear, but you have to turn down the bass when you play bands like Pantera. But its easy with his because he has a bass knob.

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I would guess that by sound quality you are looking for a "nice" sound and not a true SQ vehicle since the imaging is horrible in a k5.

I would suggest that you choose the speakers that will sound the best for your listening preferences. It all depends on what music you are going to listen to the most. Shoot me an email and I will be happy to go over everything you have asked, but I need a bit more information. I would hold off on the amp till you decide on the subs and their (ohms) as that is the most impotant factor in choosing and amp ;-)