Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Preheater hose

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schwank, Oct 30, 2002.

1. schwank

schwank Registered Member

My preheater hose went out on me, and I just bought a new one for a whopping 2 bucks. Cheapest part I have had to buy yet...

Anyway, it made me wonder what would be the effect of not having one? I have the stock airbox with a K&N filter, but obviously with a 360 aircleaner, there would be no preheater hose, so it can't be too bad. With no hose do you have to close off the Manifold opening?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You can leave the hole open, all it is is a peice of tin that routes the air by the manifold to heat it up. Without it all it will do is not pass emissions. Other than that you probably won't notice anything different. </font color>

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Been running without mine for the last three years, no problems. I just put the stock aircleaner back on with the hose at smog test time.

4. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I run it all winter cuz New York you need to warm the truck up to get heat when it's zero outside

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm injected so I don't worry about minor stuff like that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have disconnected the vacuum hose to the valve that opens and lets the hot air go threw the preheater hose. The preheater hose therefore is usless. I only hook up the vacuum line for emissions (visual check). I have had no problem without the preheater connected. But it doesn't get super cold in AZ, even in the winter.

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Run it, its not some emmsions piece or something cool people remove to go fast, lol. GM figured out that open element filters were good for nothing but giving inconsistent intake tempatures and interesting cold running. They then found out that maybe if the ran a snorkel up front they could get nice, dense cold air when warmed up, and easier to run warm air when the engine was warming up. Warm air promotes good atomization, which is important to fuel injection and carburation setups.